The Berkshire Coroner's Service is looking to recruit a Coroner’s Officer for maternity cover to provide and administer a full support and investigative service to HM Coroner for Berkshire in respect of sudden, violent and unnatural deaths and treasure finds.
About the Role:
This is a customer facing role dealing with members of the public at emotional times of their lives. You will liaise with appropriate agencies and families to establish cause of death and to ensure all necessary documentation is prepared. You will provide administrative support to the office and arrange and attend inquests.
The successful applicant will preferably have experience of working in, or directly with a Coroners’ Office. This will ideally include a good understanding of the law, experience of investigating sudden deaths, as well as dealing with bereaved families and attending post mortem examinations if required. You must have excellent communication skills, confidence to take the initiative and the ability to deal with a wide range of people and complex issues.
Previous knowledge of Police procedures, investigation and knowledge of medical terminology will be an advantage, however applications will be considered from those with similar skills or aptitude.
These posts will be based at the Town Hall, Reading, however you may be required to travel to various locations within Berkshire. Flexibility over working hours and willingness to participate in an out of hours Call Out rota will be required.
- Generous holiday entitlement - 24 days holiday each year plus bank holidays - rising to 32 days after 10 years' service, with the option to buy additional leave
- Maternity, adoption, parental and sick pay
- A wide range of flexible working opportunities
- Modern working environment at the Civic Offices in the heart of Reading
- Access to a range of training and learning opportunities to help you develop
- Local Government Pension Scheme (LGPS)
- Life Assurance - three times your annual salary (for members of the LGPS)
- On-site day nursery (Kennet Day nursery) rated outstanding by Ofsted, and a salary sacrifice scheme to help lower the cost of your nursery fees
- Season Ticket Loan - a loan to help with the cost of your rail or bus journey, to and from work
- Cycle salary sacrifice scheme
- Salary sacrifice scheme for Additional Voluntary Contributions (AVCs) to help you save for your retirement
- 'Your Reading Passport' scheme - competitive rates for local gyms