Would you like to work in a multidisciplinary laboratory as a Quality Manager and Biomedical Scientist in a unique and vibrant community in a stunning natural environment? If so, come and join our friendly team of experienced health service professionals in the beautiful Falkland Islands.
This is an exciting opportunity to work in the Falkland Islands Government’s medical pathology and food/water testing facility. The department comprises Biochemistry, Haematology, Transfusion science, Medical Microbiology and a Food/Water Microbiology testing laboratory.
This role itself has a dual function. As Quality Manager the post holder will be responsible for maintenance and improvement of the laboratory quality management system (for both Food, Water & Environmental section and Clinical Pathology section) which is essential for achieving and maintaining accreditation. Additionally, the post holder would be expected to deputise for the laboratory manager during periods of annual leave or sickness.
The food and water testing section of the laboratory is required to work to standards listed in ISO17025 and is essential to Falkland Islands’ Fish and Meat export business and this role plays a key part in delivering accreditation of this service provision.
As a multi-skilled Biomedical Scientist, the post holder will be part of a team that provides a high quality clinical diagnostic pathology service that meets appropriate standards (ISO 15189) and will take part in the provision of the of the multi-disciplinary pathology on-call rota. You will be expected to contribute to the in-house training of staff and general progression of the laboratory skills mix. Ideally the applicant will have specialist level experience in Haematology/Transfusion but any specialist background will be considered. Training in all disciplines covered in the lab will provided to the successful applicant to a level that is adequate for the provision of routine testing services.
Job Facts And Figures
The laboratory has a staff establishment of three Biomedical Scientists (including the Lab manager and Quality Manager), one Food Scientist and two laboratory Support staff. Professional support is provided remotely by clinical consultant pathologists from NHS Portsmouth, and by other local/visiting experts as suitable.
Annual workload is in the region of 60,000 investigations per annum growing at a rate of 2-5% per annum. More specialised testing is sent to UK reference centres.
We are looking for people with:
- A BSc in Biomedical Sciences or related subject
- A relevant MSc
- Health Care Professions Council (UK) registration
- An Institute of Biomedical Science Specialist Diploma
- At least 3 years’ experience working in a clinical laboratory and preferably at least 1 year of managerial experience
- Experience of developing, implementing and managing formally recognised Quality Systems; familiarity with ISO15189 and ISO17025 would be beneficial.
- Experience of working with LIMS systems within a laboratory framework
- 2 or 3 Year Fixed Term Contract: Negotiable upon successful application
- Starting Salary: Up to 45k per annum, depending upon qualifications and experience.
- 25% Gratuity paid upon successful completion of the contract.
- 30 Days Annual Leave, plus government and public holidays (totaling 41 days leave in total)
- Relocation Allowance, to help with moving costs.
- Flights package for you and your recognised dependents, including mid-term return flight home.
- Housing for rent at a subsidised rate and a starter pack to help you get settled in.
How to Apply
For more information on the post and how apply online to join our team in a unique and breath-taking location, with penguins, dolphins and the wilderness just next door to your office, please visit our recruitment website: www.jobs.gov.fk.
Applications close at 20.00 UK time on 2 December 2019.
Applicants seeking secondment or interchange opportunities are welcome to apply.