£28,194 per annum for 36 hours per week based at County Hall, Penrhyn Road, Kingston upon Thames, KT1 2DW. Please note that Surrey County Council's headquarters, where this role is currently based, will be relocating back into Surrey in 2020 to support our Community Vision 2030.
You will benefit from 24 days annual leave, rising to 28 days after 2 years' service, a generous local government salary related pension, as well as the option to join our car lease scheme. For more information about the wide variety of benefits you can take advantage of please visit MyBenefits for Surrey County Council staff.
Surrey County Council is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment. We want to be an inclusive and diverse employer of first choice reflecting the community we serve and particularly welcome applications from all under represented groups.
About the role
Are you a conscientious and diligent individual with a passion for the natural environment, if yes we would like to hear from you.
Working within a specialist Arboricultural team, this position presents an opportunity to apply and develop your arboricultural & horticulture knowledge and skills within a public sector property department.
Working with the team's Arboriculturists, you will independently plan and deliver quality and safety audits; recording and actioning remedial works and performance procedures according to your findings. As part of this, you will accurately maintain the contractual data to reflect the current requirements of the service.
The main purpose of this new role is to achieve & sustain improved contractual services, to the benefit of the organisation & its users; the public; and the environment at large. That said, you will become involved with and contribute to a whole range of arboricultural and grounds maintenance management spheres that include planning; tree related insurance claims; risk policy review; and tree safety inspections.
To be successful in the role, you must be able to demonstrate:
- That you hold an Arboricultural or Horticultural qualification (minimum level 2) or are soon to be qualified
- That you hold an understanding of commercial arboricultural and grounds maintenance/horticultural operations and practices
- That you are knowledgeable of tree/shrub/herbaceous plant species and the pests and diseases affecting them
- That you have an awareness of health and safety regulations and requirements associated with this sphere
- That you have an ability to independently communicate and effectively with a wide range of internal and external stakeholders
- That you are IT literate
- That you are proactive and well organised
- That you can work independently and accurately
- That you are committed to learn and develop your skills and understanding
It cannot be overstated that most of all, you will have the drive, passion and enthusiasm to help improve the way we work and the service we deliver to our customers.
If you would like to informally discuss this opportunity before applying, please contact John Igglesden-Arboricultural Manager on 020 85418583 or email J.Igglesden@surreycc.gov.uk
This role will be based at County Hall in Kingston-upon-Thames but will mean regularly travelling to destinations across Surrey.
The job advert closes at 23:59 on 15/12/2019.