Fixed term for 12 months
This role will operate within the Housing Needs department, as part of the busy and successful Rent Guarantee Scheme, which facilitates tenancies in the private sector for individuals who are threatened with homelessness.
About the role
Building and maintaining effective working relationships with private sector landlords will be vital to your success in this role, in order to raise standards and maximise opportunities for preventing homelessness. Main duties of the role include:
- Delivering a customer orientated, confidential advice service for private sector tenants, sustaining tenancies wherever possible.
- Intervening where there is suspicion that tenants are being evicted illegally, carrying out interviews under caution and preparing cases for court.
- Liaising closely with teams working with private sector properties, landlords and tenants across the Local Authority and in the voluntary sector.
- Supporting Housing Needs in developing and promoting borough-wide initiatives in the private rented sector.
Essential experience required for this role:
- Significant experience and knowledge of housing case law, homelessness and private sector tenancy legislation and good practice
- Knowledge and experience of utilising a range of housing options to prevent homelessness
- Ability to negotiate effectively by presenting key issues in a persuasive and balanced manner, influencing opinion and resolving deadlocked situations
- Ability to work on own initiative as well as within a team environment, prioritising, making decisions and successfully managing a personal caseload of work.
- Experience of and commitment to working within a multi-disciplinary environment, following established processes and procedures.
- A competitive salary alongside a range of benefits including:
- We offer a supportive environment to grow and develop your career with the opportunity to put your ideas across. Innovation and ambition is strongly encouraged, and you’ll get a great feel for that working in our friendly and collaborative environment
- Generous holiday entitlement - 24 days holiday each year plus bank holidays - rising to 32 days after 10 years' service, with the option to buy additional leave
- A wide range of flexible working opportunities
- Modern working environment at the Civic Offices in the heart of Reading
- Access to a range of training and learning opportunities to help you develop
Local Government Pension Scheme (LGPS)
- On-site day nursery (Kennet Day nursery) rated outstanding by Ofsted, and a salary sacrifice scheme to help lower the cost of your nursery fees
For more information on this position please contact email@example.com. Interview Date: To be confirmed Please note that these dates are indicative at this stage and may be subject to change
Closing date: 2nd December 2019