Academic Mentor – Sixth Form
Scale 4: £23,628 - £24,927 per annum (Pro rata)
Fixed Term through to July 31st (with the possibility of an extension)| 35 hours per week | Term Time + 2 weeks
Staggered shifts (Start and end times to be agreed with LM)
St Paul’s Way Trust School is a highly successful Ofsted Outstanding ‘Through School’ and ‘National Teaching School’. Working closely with our university trust partners – Queen Mary University, King’s College, Warwick University, University of Greenwich, University College London and the University of East London – our exceptional and distinctive Sixth Form offers high-quality, academic tuition across a range of A level courses. Our students pursue ambitious pathways with 3 in every 5 students attending a Russell Group University.
To this end, we seek to provide our students with the highest level of academic and pastoral provision enriched with an extensive programme of activities.
The Trustees and Governors are seeking to appoint an exceptionally well-qualified and talented Sixth Form Academic Mentor. The successful candidate will have a strong academic background, and a professional and approachable manner to support our extremely ambitious sixth form students reach their full potential.
Key Tasks will include:
- Providing one to one and small group subject specific tuition to A-Level students in the Sixth Form in at least two subjects, and look out for new opportunities for students related to the subjects in which they are mentoring.
- Working with the subject teachers and the Sixth Form team to identify students at all levels in
need of support and challenge, and devise bespoke plans to support them
- Planning and delivering sessions aimed to develop students’ organisation, proactivity and good academic writing skills
- Supervise the Sixth Form study areas ensuring there is a quiet, focused atmosphere and behaviour appropriate to creating a culture for independent study.
- Provide appropriate advice and guidance to students exploring pathways in Higher Education
- Liaise effectively with tutors, Heads of Year 12 and 13, SLT and respond promptly to their concerns and queries.
- Understand and implement the school’s guidelines on child protection issues.
- Assist with other activities relating to supervision of students including general supervision and attendance on Sixth Form trips.
Our exciting time of expansion as St Paul’s Way Trust School continues as the lead school within the ‘University Schools Trust’. Our award winning new building is situated in the heart of East London. Professor Brian Cox OBE is our Patron.
Please note, we do not accept CVs alone.
Application closing date:
Midday, Monday 16th December 2019
St Paul’s Way Trust School is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment. Successful candidates will be required to undergo an enhanced DBS Check.