Newham Council offers a unique working environment within a London borough that is home to some of the largest and most exciting regeneration projects in Europe. This includes the Olympic Legacy and the Royal Docks Enterprize Zone, building thousands of new homes and creating thousands of new jobs, leading to a major uplift of the Borough as a whole.
With 43,000 new homes targeted to be delivered by 2033 and major regeneration projects underway, including ABP in the Royal Docks, Stratford City and Canning Town redevelopment plus the forthcoming arrival of Crossrail, Newham is leading in the delivery of creating distinctive and high quality places and is an exciting place to work.
Newham values talent and these are some of the benefits you can expect when you join our team:
• An interest free season ticket/travel card loan scheme
• Childcare voucher scheme which can be used to pay for registered childcare for children up to 16 years old
• The Local Government Pension Scheme which offers ill health retirement provisions
• Discounted gym membership at all activeNewham leisure centres in Newham
• Free hearing, eye tests and health checks
£33,945 - £36,711 pa
We're looking for someone who will be responsible for special projects including but not restricted to the specification and management of disabled adaptations. You'll need to demonstrate a sound technical knowledge of building construction in residential premises. Strong communication and interpersonal skills are also essential as you'll be dealing with members of the public, local residents, staff and contractors. Our offer is a busy and diverse workload in which youll be an integral part of putting people at the heart of everything.
What you’ll need to succeed:
- A relevant building qualification (HNC as a minimum)
- Experience of Visiting disabled resident's properties (with or without Occupational Therapists)
- Designing adaptations including wet rooms, ramps, extensions, garage conversions etc.
- Use of AutoCAD.
- Extensive experience of working in a repairs & maintenance environment at the sharp end
- Great Customer service skills.
- Knowledge of contract management in a building maintenance and adaptations environment
You will need to hold a current full licence which enables the applicant to drive in the UK.
Applications must be submitted online.
CV's or cover letters will not be accepted.
Applicants’ must submit a personal supporting statement, addressing all the criteria as detailed in the Person Specification.
The London Borough of Newham is a Disability Confident employer. Candidates who declare that they have a disability in accordance with the Equality Act 2010 and meet the essential criteria as specified in the Job Profile will be guaranteed an interview.
Priority consideration on all advertised roles will be given to London Borough of Newham Redeployees.
The London Borough of Newham is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable groups and expects staff and volunteers to share this commitment.
Please be aware that a Disclosure and Barring Scheme (DBS) check will be required for any position with access to these groups under the provision of the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974.
In addition, the Authority reserves the right to request employees undertake a basic disclosure check (Disclosure Scotland) where required for the role this includes anyone who has access to (or information obtained directly from) a government database, or has a GCSX account. These posts will be required to have a Basic Disclosure Scotland check as per the requirements of BPSS (Baseline Personnel Security Standards).
Should you require any help or advice with your online application, please contact the Recruitment Help Desk on: 0203 373 0909.