Southwark is a large council with a 'can do' attitude. We are successful, passionate and we are committed to our 'Fairer Futures for All' promise which ensures that our residents and businesses are at the heart of everything we do.
In your role, you will benefit from our family-friendly policies including flexible working and a local government pension scheme plus many other staff benefits.
You will join a friendly, supportive team that strives for excellence and values its members.
About the Role
We are looking for a multi skilled handyperson to work across Southwark, carrying out small repairs and minor adaptations to help our residents aged 60 & over or any of our residents with a disability to remain living independently in their own home.
Main duties of the role include:
* Carrying out small repairs and minor adaptations to the homes of vulnerable and people with disabilities across all housing tenures by utilising a range of skills and creative thinking
* Undertaking home visits to assess the extent of work required and provide clients with estimates for the cost of work and materials
* Undertaking home assessments and making recommendations to improve home safety on behalf of vulnerable residents
* Ensuring that the work undertaken complies with statutory requirements including Health & Safety regulations
* Responsible for ordering and obtaining appropriate materials necessary to carry out the required repairs
* Ability to work on own initiative and manage a substantial work load
You will hold a relevant trade qualification or apprenticeship e.g. carpentry, plumbing, electrician, bricklaying etc. and hold a full UK driving licence.
You will have excellent communication skills, naturally upholding our Southwark value of treating our residents as if they were valued members of your own family.
Experience of working with older and vulnerable people is also desirable.
Please apply online by 9th February 2020.
We look forward to receiving your application.
Closing date: 09/02/2020
Interviews: 17/02/2020 at Southwark Council's Tooley Street Offices
- Van and Tools are provided
- Find out more about our benefits at: https://jobs.theguardian.com/minisites/southwark-council/life-at-southwark-benefits-and-more/