Brighter Futures for Children
Permanent, Part time 18.5 hours per week
Brighter Futures for Children is improving outcomes for Reading's children, young people and families.
We are an independent, not-for-profit-company, wholly owned by Reading Borough Council. Our responsibility is to deliver quality children's services, early help, education and Special Educational Needs and Disabilities (SEND) services in the borough.
- We protect and enhance the lives of the children of Reading.
- We help families find long-term solutions to ensure children lead happy, healthy, and successful lives.
- We embrace new and proven ways of working, including; Trauma Informed practice, Restorative approaches, Strong partnership working, Quick and appropriate decision-making.
As we develop our understanding of what works locally and continue to learn from emerging evidence-informed practice, we will wish to respond flexibly and further strengthen our model of delivery.
The Options Therapeutic Team is designed to provide a therapeutic service for Reading’s looked after children and to deliver a therapeutic training programme for foster carers and other social work practitioners. The team aims to support the placements of Looked After Children and to ensure that placements remain stable throughout the child and young person’s journey of being looked after.
The Systemic Therapist will provide direct systemic and family assessment and interventions for cases with more complex needs, alongside other approaches which meet the holistic needs of children, young people and their families.
- Provide clinical/professional/technical advice and guidance in trauma-informed therapeutic interventions to colleagues, managers and partner agencies.
- To provide consultation and advice to colleagues providing a service to children and work alongside practitioners, including social workers and key workers, to provide clinically informed assessments and interventions to children, foster families and their networks.
- To be responsible for providing regular clinical support to the Options multi-disciplinary team.
- Support the TI practitioner in providing support to operational management at BFfC to drive an operational shift in culture to a trauma-informed approach; particularly across Childrens Social Care.
Supervision and Continuing Professional Development
- To work in a productive, collaborative manner, working co-operatively with colleagues, and to understand and respect professional responsibilities and boundaries.
- To receive supervision and consultation on a regular basis, regarding therapeutic, service and professional issues.
- To keep up to date and disseminate information on relevant developments in the field of research and policy in relation to the needs of vulnerable adolescents, Children In Need, Looked After Children.
- Systemic Family Psychotherapy,
- Psychology (or equivalent for those who trained before 1996) as accredited by the BPS.
- Masters level qualification or recognised equivalent qualification: -
- Qualified Systemic Family Therapist Masters level UKCP registered.
- Qualified Psychotherapist registered with professional body i.e. ACP approved Child Psychotherapist.
Essential knowledge, skills and experience:
- Experience of trauma informed approaches and development of trauma informed team working.
- Experience of training and developing staff or parents/carers.
- Experience of working with vulnerable groups and individuals within diverse ethnic communities, including the ability to work with those in pressured situations, and to work with high levels of risk and anxiety.
- Experience of working in multi-disciplinary and statutory settings to provide a range of therapeutic interventions to children, young people and families, within a systemic framework.
Contact details for an informal discussion:
Pippa Faulkner email@example.com
What we offer our permanent worker
- We offer a supportive framework to develop your career
- You’ll work in a friendly and collaborative environment where we are committed to delivering positive outcomes.
- We have a strong training and developmental pathway
- All team managers are permanent staff and our Consultant Practitioners will coach, mentor and support you.
- Competitive salary
- Local Government Pension Scheme
- Discounted childcare
- On-site outstanding nursery
- Free parking
- Pool cars.
We offer a range of extras
- Cycle to work scheme
- Season ticket loans
- Local discounts
- Health and wellbeing programme
- Staff Club and social events.