Work as part of a team carrying out straightforward enforcement and inspection work across a wide range of services including environmental health, licensing, planning, housing, highways, and community safety.
You will be part of a team working 9.25hr shifts per week rota’d over 7 days.
For an informal discussion about this role please contact Brett Stacey - Field Officer Manager on 01273 291552
About the role
Do you have a good knowledge of enforcement work?
Do you have experience of working with local communities?
Are you great with people?
If so, then we would like to hear from you.
This is an exciting time to join us as we develop our new and innovative approach to inspection and enforcement work across the City. You will play a key role in helping us to provide a coordinated fast and effective inspection and enforcement service and also, as importantly, aims to encourage local residents to get involved and work together to improve the quality of life for everyone living in their neighbourhood.
Your main duties will include:
- carrying out straightforward enforcement and inspection work across a wide range of services including environmental health, licensing, planning, housing, highways, and community safety
- gathering intelligence and vital evidence for specialised enforcement officers working on more complex cases within specific council services
- working with key partner organisations such as Local Authority Social Services, the Police, Fire Authority and Environment Agency
- preparing and serving statutory notices and executing warrants in accordance with legislation
- taking statements and preparing cases for prosecution and attending Court
- working proactively with local residents to empower them to take greater responsibility for their local area and encouraging them to work collaboratively together to improve their neighbourhood environment.
Although you will need to have experience of working in an enforcement role where you have had to manage challenging and demanding situations, it is equally important that you are able to engage, and work effectively, with the diverse communities within our City.
You must be a strong team player with excellent communication and negotiation skills and be able to manage your own workload by regularly reviewing and prioritising as necessary. You must also have good ICT and problem solving skills and be able to make appropriate decisions based on sound judgement, even when working alone or in pressurised situations.
You will be expected to work a shift pattern 12.00 noon to 8.00 pm, rota’d over 7 days. Hours may change with seasonal demand.
In return we can offer you:
- a competitive salary
- career average pension scheme
- generous holiday (11.5 days rising to 12.5 days after 5 years)
- paid travel expenses
- in service training provided across all areas of activity
- an opportunity to enhance your knowledge and skills
- regular supervision meetings
- bi-annual appraisal
- a range of other staff benefits
Then why not apply to join us.
Find out more about Living in Brighton & Hove on our website.
Your starting salary will be pro rata if the above position is part-time or term-time only.
Work Permits: we may be able to obtain a Work Permit for this post but this is subject to meeting the requirements of the UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) Points-based Immigration System.
From 6 April 2011 the Home Office has placed a permanent restriction on the number of migrant workers that all Tier 2 (General) Sponsors can recruit. Due to the restrictions we cannot guarantee that individuals that meet the requirements of the Points-based Immigration System will be issued with clearance to obtain work permits.
Please note that this post is exempt from the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974, and is subject to a Disclosure & Barring Service (DBS) Check.
We welcome applications from all sections of the community but particularly encourage applicants from a BME or White Other background as well as those who identify as male or trans as these groups are currently under-represented in our Directorate workforce.
.As part of Brighton & Hove City Council's ongoing commitment to redeployment, please note that this vacancy may be withdrawn at any stage of the recruitment process, without prior notice if a suitable redeployee (internal employee at risk of redundancy) is identified.