This opportunity is offered initially for 6 to 12 months but may well be extended.
The role holder could also base themselves at one of our other offices in Brighton or Lewes in East Sussex.
We would welcome applicants working full or part time, as well as secondment agreements between councils where possible. Agile and flexible working are welcomed and supported; we care about the job you do, not where you do it. We are proud of our agile working culture, including providing the technology to support remote working.
About the role
Orbis is a shared services partnership between East Sussex County Council, Surrey County Council and Brighton and Hove City Council.
The role that we are recruiting to sits within Business Operations and manages the Commercial Team which is one of the teams within the Orbis partnership. The team is responsible for retaining and growing our customer base. This is a highly motivated, experienced team which prides itself on its high standards of work and the results it delivers. The team provides Marketing, Business Development, Sales, and Account Management support to our colleagues and customers across the South East.
The position of Lead Commercial Manager is a senior role within Business Operations and the role holder is part of our Senior Management Team. Our service runs transactional services for HR (including payroll), Finance, pensions and procurement.
- Contribute to and support with the delivery of the commercial strategy so that new opportunities can be identified and captured to enable growth to be delivered through our partners and customers
- Support Orbis and partner organisations with commercial support and guidance
- Ensure a focus on growth and service retention through existing and new markets
- Develop, lead and manage the Commercial team (Marketing and Brand Manager, Account Manager, Commercial Manager) to ensure successful delivery of the commercial strategy
As well as the above the post holder will be expected to coach and develop others in the principles of 'commercialisation' and be the 'voice of the customer' throughout our business.
We are looking for a good networker who is confident and outgoing, and able to communicate effectively with colleagues and customers about their role and the key issues facing them. We want applicants who thrive on taking the initiative and work proactively with colleagues and clients to resolve their challenges, add value to contracts and seek opportunities to grow our service.
This role will require travel to our 3 office locations in Kingston, Brighton and Lewes in East Sussex where our operational teams work. We would welcome the successful candidate to base themselves out of any of these locations and would also welcome discussions around flexible working arrangements.
To be shortlisted for interview, your personal statement will clearly evidence:
- Commercial expertise: reducing costs through growth, partnerships and the cross selling of services
- Experience in building and developing strong stakeholder relationships
- Effective interpersonal and communication skills across a variety of mediums
- Wide experience in successful leading, coaching, mentoring and developing of staff
- Experienced and extensive knowledge of Bid Management (High value & complex)
- Commercial and contract management experience with the ability to solve complex challenges with innovative solutions
- Excellent negotiation skills
- Manage budgets effectively whilst ensuring delivery of objectives
- Ability to successfully operate and influence within a complex corporate and political environment
For more information on this position, please review the Job Description attached to the bottom of this advert before applying.
For an informal discussion contact Chris Howell, Lead Commercial Manager on 07970232098 or by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org or Mike Lea, Assistant Director of Business Operations on 07854371945 or by e-mail at email@example.com
We look forward to receiving your application.
The job advert closes at 23:59 on Sunday 19th April 2020 with interviews to follow.
From flexible working to job sharing (where possible) we are committed to providing a healthy work life balance. A laptop and mobile will be supplied if applicable to your role. You will benefit from 24 days annual leave, rising to 28 days after 2 years' service, a generous local government salary related pension, as well as the option to join our car lease scheme. For more information about the wide variety of benefits you can take advantage of please visit MyBenefits for Surrey County Council staff.
Surrey County Council is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment. We want to be an inclusive and diverse employer of first choice reflecting the community we serve and particularly welcome applications from all under represented groups.