Brighter Futures for Children (BFFC)
Brighter Futures for Children is improving outcomes for Reading's children, young people and families.
We are an independent, not-for-profit-company, wholly owned by Reading Borough Council. Our responsibility is to deliver quality children's services, early help, education and Special Educational Needs and Disabilities (SEND) services in the borough.
- We protect and enhance the lives of the children of Reading.
- We help families find long-term solutions to ensure children lead happy, healthy, and successful lives.
- We embrace new and proven ways of working, including; Trauma Informed practice, Restorative approaches, Strong partnership working, Quick and appropriate decision-making.
The Strategic Commissioner for partnerships will work with the Head of Commissioning, Contracts and Procurement to champion, promote and deliver transformational change. The Strategic Commissioner for partnerships is responsible for the development, implementation and delivery of commissioning programmes, plans and strategies across a wide-ranging portfolio which includes: Health related commissioning; company corporate related commissioning and RBC related commissioning. This role will ensure effective commissioning of services, promoting a joint approach working with the Strategic Commissioner for Education and SEND and Strategic Commissioner for Social Care.
- To support the Head of Commissioning, Contracts and Procurement with the management of the Company Service Level Agreements with Reading Borough Council
- To work with colleagues in health and Reading Borough Council to support development of jointly commission services and processes, through development of joint funding, targets and monitoring
- To build positive relationships with relevant colleagues across Berkshire and other neighbouring authorities in order to identify opportunities to collaborate, share best practice and learn lessons.
- To collaborate on ensuring effective co-production with service user (and carer) takes place and the voice of children, young people and their families routinely informs the team’s work.
- To develop business cases; service reviews; option papers and regular reports for senior leaders and Board members as required
- To deputise for the Head of Commissioning, Contracts and Procurement when required.
- To contribute to company or external initiatives in relation to commissioning and contracts.
- To be up to date with the latest demographic data and statistics on the relevant client groups, with an informed view on the future implications of this.
- To be up to date with the latest developments in the care and support market in Reading and Berkshire, including benchmarking of costs, quality and performance.
- To contribution to the JSNA and any similar local analyses and data collection in Reading or beyond.
- Responsible for researching models of best practice to shape innovative models of care, evolving specification and service design, analysis of demand and throughput, resource analysis in terms of staff and assets, to improve efficiency
- Lead and undertake work to analyse needs, gaps in provision, market trends and make recommendations to implement strategic change to improve the availability, range, quality and value for money of services
- Lead the development of service specifications, tender documents, contract performance management frameworks and other relevant documentation
- To ensure the development of appropriate methods of participation, consultation and co-production with children, young people and their families and that this work underpins and informs commissioning of services
- Analysis of complex information and data in relation to current service provision and mapping against future intentions. Liaising with internal and external stakeholders in the analysis, planning design and delivery phases.
- GCSE/GSE grade C in Maths and English
- Educated to degree level or equivalent academic ability in relevant field.
- Evidence of continuing professional and personal development.
Essential knowledge, skills and experience:
- Proven experience of working within and delivering excellent outcomes within a children services, social care or health setting, ideally within a Commissioning function
- Commercial skills - experience of working in a fast-paced environment with a cost focused service
- Problem solving and analytical skills to interpret statistical and written information and to produce planning documents and determine a range of informed and imaginative solutions.
- Leadership and management skills to lead a team and motivate staff and stakeholders.
- Highly developed communication skills to present information clearly, both written and verbal to varied audiences
- Organisational skills to prioritise and plan workload for self and the team.
- Experience of managing a placement team function
- Has a specialist knowledge and understanding of the full commissioning cycle including needs assessment and market appraisal
Contact details for an informal discussion:
Email Karina Ajayi on Karina.Ajayi@brighterfuturesforchildren.org
What we offer our employee:
- We offer a supportive framework to develop your career
- You’ll work in a friendly and collaborative environment where we are committed to delivering positive outcomes.
- We have a strong training and developmental pathway
- All team managers are permanent staff and our Consultant Practitioners will coach, mentor and support you.
- Competitive salary
- Local Government Pension Scheme
- Discounted childcare
- On-site outstanding nursery
We offer a range of extras
- Cycle to work scheme
- Season ticket loans
- Local discounts
- Health and wellbeing programme
- Staff Club and social events.