Litigation and Planning Team Leader
You will join us as a Litigation and Planning Team Leader to provide legal services to South Oxfordshire and Vale of White Horse District Councils and their services, particularly in relation to planning, licensing, litigation, local government law and corporate matters.
Litigation and Planning Team Leader Responsibilities:
• Advise on all legal matters arising from the councils' planning functions, including development management, enforcement, appeals and the local development framework and drafting statutory notices and orders such as enforcement notices, stop notices and article 4 directions
• Draft/approve section 106 agreements/obligations and agreements under related legislation
• Advise on licensing matters
• Handle complex criminal and civil litigation work arising out of all the councils’ functions including prosecutions, appeals and inquiries
• Handle or work in partnership with external solicitors and counsel on major litigation and planning matters, including public inquiries, judicial reviews and complex civil and criminal litigation matters
Litigation and Planning Team Leader Requirements:
• Ability to handle all aspects of complex planning, litigation and licensing work without supervision
• Ability to lead and manage members of a small team of legal staff
• Ability to use Microsoft Word, Excel, email and time recording/case management systems to produce documents and correspondence and to record and track progress of work
• Good oral and written communication and drafting skills
• Ability to work under pressure and to tight deadlines
• Keen to be part of a shared service and to contribute to new ways of working and new initiatives
• Keen to work to quality standards and to achieve team performance targets
About South Oxfordshire District Council:
South Oxfordshire District Council and Vale of White Horse District Council are forward thinking local authorities, based in one of the most attractive areas of the country. They are looking for a professional, competent and enthusiastic person who is able to communicate well at all levels. An excellent benefits package is on offer including annualised hours (flexible working) and a career average pension scheme.
Location: Milton Park, Oxfordshire
Job type: Full Time, Permanent, 37 hours per week. Flexible working available by agreement
Salary: up to £55,307 per annum
Benefits: A basic 24 days annual leave per annum, rising to 29 days after five years. You also have all the bank holidays to look forward to and time off between Christmas and New Year; pension scheme, cycle scheme, car lease scheme, reduced gym membership, free swims, contributory medical schemes, wellbeing appointments, free eye tests for DSE users, after work sports clubs and more, ample free parking nearby.
Closing Date: 16 June 2020
Interview Date: W/C 23 June 2020