Centrally located in the Thames Gateway, Gravesham Borough Council provides a range of services to over 106,000 people and 4,000 businesses.
The Borough of Gravesham, situated in the north west corner of Kent, covers 25,000 acres of the most varied countryside in south east England.
Bordered by the River Thames to the north, it is at the heart of Thames Gateway and has a significant role to play in the regeneration of a major government growth area.
Gravesham Borough Council is committed to delivering to the community and working with us means you are part of delivering the level of growth and improvement our community needs and deserves.
As part of The Grand Healthy Living Centre, the Customer Service Assistant helps provide front line support to customers and handle a wide range of enquiries as a first point of contact for a wide range of services that are provided by the healthy living centre.
The successful candidate must have excellent customer service and communication skills, in addition to a professional approach to their responsibilities. As first point of contact, it is essential that the right ‘image’ is portrayed of the authority and The Grand and its’ commitment to customers and service provision.
Undertake a range of specialist tasks including:
- Front desk support, including answering phone calls, replying to emails, bookings and helping customers within the building.
- Having a responsible approach towards all enquiries, including monitoring and liaising with other departments in the Grand to ensure successful conclusion of the enquiry.
- Undertake all training and development programmes as required.
- Assist in the administration of two Job Clubs (or similar type sessions), one for adults and one for young people at the Grand.
- Support The Grand’s two English classes (or similar type sessions) by providing registers for the English teacher and inputting student’s information into Views accurately and timely.
- Input sessional information into Views (database) to allow for the production of monthly reports based on Grand analytics for presentation purposes ensuring all information is accurate and up to date and keyed in a timely fashion.
- Support the Grand’s Business Information Assistant with the weekly IT drop in service
- The post holder will carry out all duties and activities having regard to the provisions of the Health & Safety at Work Act 1974 etc. and in accordance with any instruction from senior members of staff under that Act, or any Council or departmental Codes of Practice or Procedures.
Any other duties commensurate with the grade as directed by the Line Manager.
- NVQ level 2 in Customer Service or equivalent.
- Ability to carry out basic Office skills including the use of Microsoft Office
- Adapt to and learn new systems as well as the Grand’s database system, currently Views.
- Ability to follow set procedures and routines
- Ability to work with minimal supervision.
- Knowledge of The Grand and its related services
- A commitment and contribution to the Grand and the Council’s Equal Opportunities Policy is an essential requirement of the post.
- Minimum of 1 years’ experience of undertaking customer service in a busy environment.
- 5 GCSEs or equivalent A – C grades.
- Excellent organisational skills and good judgement.
- Self-motivation with a good eye for detail.
- Reliability and a good time-keeper.
In return we offer you:
A generous holiday entitlement, plus paid bank holidays.
In-house and external training including non-qualification, Continued Personal Development (CPD), NVQ and other qualification training.
Employee Assistance Programme
The Employee Assistance Programme (EAP) is a free and confidential support service, offering you unlimited access to advice and information as well as coaching and counselling where appropriate.
Available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year, the service is there to help you manage all of life's events and support you through the challenges. Their expert advisers are there to help,
whenever you need them. Support on the telephone, online and face to face.
A very secure pension scheme which both you and we pay into. More information can be found on the Local Government Pension Scheme website.
An on-site Occupational Health Advisor. We have an occupational health service provided by East Kent Hospitals University Foundation NHS Trust. The service is delivered by a team of health professionals who specialise in occupational medicine and deal with the relationship between your work and your health. Occupational Health also works with us to resolve any issues in the workplace and also to ensure that well-being at work is maintained.
If you would like to have an informal discussion with the recruiting manager call <<Liz Read >> on <<07876390080>>.
Applicants must be able to demonstrate all essential requirements as listed in the job profile.
Please note that in accordance with current COVID-19 Government guidelines, in regards to social distancing, all interviews are likely to be held virtually via Microsoft Teams. Full details on how this will work will be sent to you, if your application is successfully shortlisted.
Equal Opportunities Commitment Statement
Gravesham Borough Council is committed to creating an inclusive work environment with a diverse workforce. All appropriately qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, disability or age
Please be advised that if you are not contacted within 3 weeks of the advert closing date then you have not been shortlisted. All recruitment correspondence, including interview letters and contracts of employment will usually be sent out via email.
We reserve the right to close this vacancy at any time prior to the closing date.