Team: Public Health
Job Family: Advising CBG11
Salary: £33,123- £36,138 pro rata
Hours: Full Time 37 hours per week
Base Location: Priory House, although the postholder will be required to work across Central Bedfordshire, Bedford Borough and Milton Keynes local authority areas
Contract Type: Permanent
Closing Date: 25th September 2020
Interview Date: 2nd October 2020
More about the role: Public Health Practitioner (Drug and Alcohol)
This is a high-profile role working with a range of key internal and external partners to develop, deliver and coordinate strategies to prevent and minimise harms from drugs and alcohol across 3 Local Authority Areas: Central Bedfordshire, Bedford Borough and Milton Keynes.
This role will have a focus on vulnerable and complex groups and take a system wide approach that improves outcomes for people who are for example, involved in the criminal justice system, have poor mental health, are unemployed or homeless. Other areas of responsibility will include reducing the harms to children and young people from drugs and alcohol and other related areas as identified by local need and in line with national policy.
The postholder will:
- create a social and physical environment in Central Bedfordshire, Bedford Borough and Central Bedfordshire that promotes health and wellbeing for all and minimises preventable ill health
The role requires:
- a working knowledge of key public health concepts such as epidemiology, data interpretation, evaluation, delivering cost-effective and evidence-based interventions
- effective commissioning support of services, including needs assessment, specifying service outcomes and performance management.
- strong system leadership and partnership working, including influencing other organisations and agencies to increase their engagement with health and wellbeing, ill health prevention and health inequalities.
- The ability to be flexible and adaptable, planning effectively and responding to changing circumstances and newly revised/set targets and priorities.
- The ability to write and present reports for a range of audiences, including senior, strategic groups.
Qualifications and Experience:
The suitable candidate will have;
- Degree level or equivalent level of knowledge gained through courses and relevant experience.
- Experience of working with a range of external organisations to achieve specific objectives.
- Experience of multi-agency working across organisational boundaries.
- Experience of commissioning and performance management.
- Experience of influencing and achieving without direct management.
- Experience of working effectively both within a team and independently.
- Experience of project management.
- Ability to prioritise work and meet deadlines – managing own workload and delegating as appropriate.
Please supply evidence alongside your application on how you meet the requirements of the post as detailed above and the competency framework detailed in the role profile (see link below)
Join us, and take advantage of a generous rewards package, agile working and the chance to learn and progress. Find your greatness by helping us to deliver better services to the local community, reduce the harms caused by drug and alcohol and improve outcomes for those affected by drug and alcohol use.
Central Bedfordshire Council has its own vision and values that are integral to everything we do. Our area vision is to make Central Bedfordshire 'A great place to live and work’.
To assess your suitability for the role, you must demonstrate how you meet the key outcomes, accountabilities and competencies. To do this, you’ll need to refer the Family Profile, Role Profile and Competency Framework which can be found in the Recruitment Pack: Public Health Practitioner Recruitment Pack
For an informal discussion about this position, please contact: Charlotte Ball at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 0300 300 5113
For queries related to the recruitment of this vacancy, please contact: The Recrutiment Team at email@example.com
Central Bedfordshire Council is an equal opportunities employer. We welcome enquiries from everyone and value diversity in the workplace. We are a Disability Confident employer, we are working to become a Disability Confident leader in our community.
To maintain a fair and consistent approach for applicants, it is Central Bedfordshire Council's policy to only consider applications made via our online application system and we therefore thank you for not submitting your application offline. If you do not have a CV to hand, please look on our website for a CV template that you can use to create your CV to apply for this role. http://www.centralbedfordshire.gov.uk/jobs/work-here/application.aspx