Surrey Schools SLT service has new posts for innovative and outcome-focused Specialist Speech and Language Therapists (NHS band 6 equivalent), working in new specialist ASD provisions and mainstream schools.
We have 2 vacancies in the Surrey schools service, working with children with Education Health and Care Plans (EHCPs) as well as those needing targeted Special Educational Needs (SEN) support.
One post is in North East Surrey (covering Elmbridge, Epsom & Ewell or Spelthorne borough) working in a specialist centre attached to mainstream for children with ASD and in a local patch of mainstream schools. Full or part time considered based on your experience and clinical interests.
One post is in South West Surrey (covering Guildford and Waverley boroughs), working in a specialist centre attached to mainstream for children with ASD, and in a local patch of mainstream schools. Full or part time considered based on your experience and clinical interests.
We can offer you:
- Salary starting at £32,780 per annum – this is for five days a week, 42 weeks per year (term time + 3 weeks of holiday working) pro-rata to £35,382
- Flexible working options around school core hours
- Mobile and agile working solutions (laptop etc)
- Comprehensive clinical supervision programme including a buddy, 1:1 meetings with line manager, extensive in house training programme and formal external training opportunities, access to clinical effectiveness groups, case study groups, termly study days, encouragement to join and attend CEN’s relating to practice
- Opportunities to develop management skills by taking on line management of assistants or experienced PS8/Band 5 therapists and taking students. Training and support is provided
- Local government salary-related pension offered, discounted child care vouchers, and the option to join the car lease scheme. For more information, please visit MyBenefits for Surrey County Council staff
- A mixed and varied caseload across settings and age groups
- A team of students, therapists and assistants led by a Therapies Manager who is an SLT
We are looking for therapists who:
- Want to extend their clinical expertise and independent clinical decision making
- Are looking to support the development of the therapy team and service
- Have a recognised SLT degree in Speech and Language Therapy and a minimum of 2 years’ experience working as an SLT
- Are registered with the HCPC and RCSLT, and have permission to work in the UK
The School-Aged Speech and Language Therapy Service is part of Surrey County Council’s local SEND offer, working collaboratively in the Vulnerable Learners team in Surrey Children, Schools and Families Directorate, with other teams like educational psychology and specialist teachers.
We aim to deliver the right support at the right time, through assessment and intervention, and equipping families and professionals with the skills and resources to work together to help and support children with SLCN. We follow the Balance model to offer universal, targeted and specialist support for children, families, and the school workforce, and work with children and young people with EHCPs and those at SEN support following Surrey’s Graduated Response.
Your main duties in the role of Speech and Language Therapist will include but not be limited to:
- Clinical decision making in conjunction with school staff around the level of support needed to achieve the best possible outcome for the children on your defined caseload
- Working with speech and language therapy assistants, setting targets for the children and young people they are supporting, and monitoring of the delivery and outcomes of their work
- Assessment, advice and intervention for children with a range of speech, language and communication needs within your caseload. For children and young people on your caseload who are considered to have complex needs and where a joint multidisciplinary approach is essential to achieving the best outcome for these children, you will be supported by your clinical team leader
- Supporting junior members of the team, line managing others and taking on students
For more information please find attached to the bottom of this advert a full job description and person specification.
For an informal discussion please contact Peter Berrill on 07870 909873 or by e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
The closing date for this advert is 23:59 on 10th December 2020, although we will be looking at applications as they come in and may shortlist in advance of closing date.
Surrey County Council is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment. We want to be an inclusive and diverse employer of first choice reflecting the community we serve and particularly welcome applications from all underrepresented groups.
An enhanced DBS ‘Disclosure and Barring Service’ check for regulated activity (formerly known as CRB) and the Children’s and Adults’ Barred List checks will be required for this role.
Our values are what support our vision, shape the culture and are crucial in delivering our corporate strategy.