Our Highways and Transport Directorate delivers safe and effective transport that offers choice, is convenient to use, enhances the environment and enables economic growth. Our service is based on our key commitments and principles to deliver services in line with the West Sussex Plan and our statutory responsibilities, support community resilience and put our customers at the heart of everything we do.
For more information, please visit our dedicated website.
About The Job
Salary: £36,922- £39,880
Working Pattern: Full-time (37 hours per week)
Contract Length: Permanent
Interview Date: 11 January 2021 (Microsoft Teams)
Here at West Sussex County Council, what we do changes lives.
To help us continue to deliver our key principles, we are seeking a dedicated and motivated Senior Officer to join our Programme Management Office (PMO). You will have a meticulous eye for detail and be extremely organised as the PMO oversee in excess of £100m worth of projects. You will play a proactive role in promoting programme and project management methods & standards and the implementation of best programme and project management practice.
As a Senior Officer you will support project governance, compliance and guidance and help develop project programmes, providing project management support to the organisation to ensure consistency and quality. You will be passionate about change and have the ability to lead by example, undertaking the day to day supervision of the team and providing guidance to teams with the service area. You will be analytical with the ability to communicate with all levels and drive customer focus.
Experience and Skills
- Ability to forward plan over the long term, making effective judgements in order to continually develop and review the effectiveness of service and staff to meet deadlines and objectives.
- Strong problem-solving skills with the ability to anticipate problems and resolve issues independently, making sound pragmatic decisions which will have a direct impact on the business/service. Understanding when issues need to be escalated to the Team Manager.
- Ability to research, analyse and interpret information to make effective and robust judgements and write reports which plan long term business implications and set timescales and make articulate recommendations.
- Excellent communication skills, able to articulate and convey often technical information, able to write excellent written documents and present information clearly and lucidly.
- Developed budgetary skills in order to ensure that budgeted expenditure, income and targets under the control of the post are achieved.
- Very good IT skills - able to manipulate information, write reports, make presentations, analyse data and confidently use a wide range of software.
Qualifications and/or experience:
- Degree, or equivalent qualification or experience in relevant subject demonstrating a high level of applied knowledge in researching, analysing and evaluating arguments and information.
- Significant experience of programme planning ideally with infrastructure focus, working with cross functional teams and stakeholders.
- Significant experience of NEC contract environment.
- Experience of supervising and or task managing others. Experience of providing mentoring/coaching/on the job training to colleagues, with demonstrable ability in directly managing others.
- Relevant advanced theoretical and procedural knowledge of relevant focussed field plus detailed knowledge of the general operation of the Highways and Transport department and the practical application of the specialism.
- Knowledge of the legislation which both frames and affects the service; namely an understanding of the Highways Acts, health and safety legislation plus specific legislative requirements.
Rewards and Benefits
As an employer we recognise that it is our employees that are central to everything we do. We aim to create a supportive and dynamic working environment where employees can achieve their full potential, achieve a healthy work-life balance and are rewarded for the work they do.
In addition to working within a great team and a competitive salary you will have access to 24 days annual leave + bank holidays, flexible working and a generous pension scheme.
For a full list of the benefits offered to you as a West Sussex County Council employee you can find them on our Rewards and Benefits page.