Ball Tree Croft is a residential home based in Sompting, Lancing supporting up to 20 adults with specialist care needs such as:
- Asperger Syndrome
- Down Syndrome
- Hearing impairment and deafness
- Speech impairment
- Visual impairment.
We provide care and support to the people who live here and people who use our short breaks service.
Please check out our campaign page for further information: Careers in Adults' Residential Care
About The Job
Salary: Grade 3 £18,562 to £18,933
Working Pattern: Part time, 20 hours
Contract Length: Permanent
Location: Ball Tree Croft, Sompting, Lancing, West Sussex
The role of Night Support Worker is to support residents through the night with personal care and wellbeing; you will monitor individuals & deliver care according to their care plans which you will be involved in updating. The Night Support Worker also undertakes general household tasks such as laundry, light cleaning and maintaining infection control standards.
Successful candidates will have good communication skills and will be confident to interact with residents who have a range of needs, ensuring they receive a high level of support during their residence at the home. You will have the ability to build relationships and be comfortable and confident with lone-working, (a sleep-in staff will be on site and sometimes another night staff supporting other people).
We can offer you the flexibility of working shifts on a part-time basis which allows for a good work-life balance. You will be required to work ten-hour shifts of 21:45 to 07:45 or 22:00 to 08:00, which will be scheduled over a four-week rota & will include weekends. There will be opportunity to work extra hours to cover staff absence available to you as well.
These shifts will attract enhancement rates of pay on top of the annual salary, for working nights & weekends, these are:
- Time and a fifth after 20:00
- Time and a half at weekends
- Double time on Bank Holidays
All mandatory training is provided in a variety of areas such as medication, infection control, food hygiene, first aid, infection control etc. There would also be the opportunity to gain a nationally recognised qualification (Diploma in Care).
Experience and Skills
- A basic understanding of the needs of the people you will be supporting and their rights as an individual.
- You will understand individual situations and be able to identify basic practical solutions. Be kind, supportive, encouraging and non-judgemental whilst building on people's strengths that support people's goals. Sharing
communication at the daily handover to ensure there is a continuity of care and to write daily records for the people you support.
- Able to communicate clearly with the people who use the service and participate in conversations with family members and paid/unpaid carers and professionals/ colleagues from time to time.
- The ability to adapt communication appropriately and use suitable tools where needed (e.g. basic Makaton), along with being aware of the sensitivities of language when working with a diverse range of people.
Qualifications and/or experience:
- Adult Care Worker - Level 2 or equivalent is desirable. If you are new to care or have experience in care and do not have this qualification, there is a requirement for you to begin within the first 6 months of starting in role.
- Basic literacy and numeracy skills in order to record and document activities.
- Basic knowledge of Health and Safety practice, First Aid and Fire procedures, Moving and Handling of people is also desirable.
Rewards and Benefits
In addition to working within a great team and a competitive salary you will have access to:
- 23 days annual leave + bank holidays with the ability to buy additional leave annually.
- Access to a generous, defined benefit pension scheme.
- A range of flexible working options.
For a full list of the benefits offered to you as a West Sussex County Council employee you can find them on our Rewards and Benefits page.
The reference number for this role is CAFHE02932 .
For an informal conversation or for further information regarding the role, please contact Tania Reynolds, Registered Manager 03302 228 987. For issues or queries regarding your application please contact .
To apply, upload your CV and complete the application explaining the skills and experience you can bring to the role ensuring that any gaps in employment are covered in your CV. Please ensure you have saved the job description attached to the main advert on our website as, once the job has closed, you may not have the opportunity to download again.
We are committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults. This post is subject to an enhanced DBS check, 5 years referencing and a health check.
West Sussex County Council is an equal opportunities employer committed to promoting an environment that is inclusive and free from all forms of unlawful or unfair discrimination and values the diversity of its people. We actively welcome applications from people of all backgrounds and take every possible step to ensure that no individual will be disadvantaged.
For information regarding your eligibility to apply for this role under our Disability or Veteran's Guaranteed Interview Scheme, this can be found on our application help page.
Note for Recruitment Agencies: We prefer to hire people directly, but we do have a supplier list for when we need a helping hand. We'll be in touch directly if we need you!