Highways and Transport delivers safe and effective transport that offers choice, is convenient to use, enhances the environment and enables economic growth.
The service is based on the principles that we will deliver services in line with the West Sussex Plan, our statutory responsibilities and our services support community resilience, that we will use our resources wisely to ensure value for money and we will put the customer at the heart of everything we do.
For more information about West Sussex County Council, please visit our website.
About The Job
Salary: £51,764 to £54,823 per annum
Working Pattern: Full time, 37 hours per week
Location: County Hall, Chichester
Interviews week commencing: wc 15 February 2021
As the Team Manager, you will be accountable for the provision of specialist expertise delivering technical solutions through the management of a team of professional engineers. They will be working with engineering and highway colleagues and contractors to effectively and efficiently deliver the Works Programme. You will be responsible for the design, implementation and monitoring of engineering solutions which are appropriate to the risk, budget, environmental and technical need.
As a member of the Planned Delivery Service management team, you will be highly influential in developing the future shape of the service, overcoming the challenges this presents and contributing to the longer-term plans and strategies such as the Local Transport Plan.
You will be responsible for determining solutions, developing and implementing cost effective and sustainable maintenance plans, and managing the consultants and contractors delivering capital programme improvements. There is a very high reliance on the specific technical skills of the Team Manager to ensure that Highway Structures and Drainage assets are fit for purpose, are maintained in an adequate manner and are safe for use by all road users.
Experience and Skills
You will be analytical with the ability to communicate with all levels of the organisation and external partners including the public. You will be personally resourceful and pro-active and able to work autonomously.
Additionally, you will be able to work well as part of a team and be customer focused. You will have a high level of scrutiny whilst also being accepting of any challenges you may face. You will ideally have experience of working within a financial area of the business.
You will be accountable for the development, maintenance and delivery of the asset management plan and will manage the regular monitoring and assessment of Highway Structures and Drainage assets for which WSCC as highway authority has responsibility.
- Ability to make sound pragmatic problem-solving decisions, which will have a wider service impact. The ability to analyse and make judgements based on principles to tackle difficult problems of a technical, professional, resource or people related nature.
- Excellent communication skills with ability to successfully influence and persuade others and negotiate effective business solutions. Sound partnership working skills including the successful co-ordination of partners to deliver objectives.
- Ability to challenge existing practices and identify innovative solutions, setting timescales and objectives, and reviewing effectiveness of service delivery.
- Effective research, evaluation and interpretation skills to derive conclusions and plan over the short to medium term.
- Effective people management and performance management skills with the ability to provide direction, leadership and support to individuals and teams.
- Project management skills including the ability to apply project management principles and practices to complex issues.
Qualifications and/or experience:
- Post graduate professional qualification relevant either to management or to the professional service specialism; or equivalent level of significant experience demonstrating comprehensive application of the above levels of knowledge in a relevant setting.
- Relevant chartered status of a professional body or equivalent high-level experience of involved practices.
- Expert relevant experience in specialist area, including sound relevant operational experience.
- Significant post qualification experience in dealing with significant and complex issues.
- Experience of delivering or co-ordinating a quality service to others.
- Experience of managing / leading staff.
- Experience of managing a budget and contributing to financially related decisions on high level spending.
- Exposure to shaping and supporting initiatives in a political environment.
Rewards and Benefits
As an employer we recognise that it is our employees that are central to everything we do. We aim to create a supportive and dynamic working environment where employees can achieve their full potential, achieve a healthy work-life balance and are rewarded for the work they do.
Aside from 29 days annual leave, you will also have access to a full list of the benefits offered to you as a West Sussex County Council employee you can find them on our Rewards and Benefits page.