Senior Planning Policy Officer
South Oxfordshire and Vale of White Horse District Councils are looking for a senior neighbourhood planner to cover the management of one of the most active areas of community led planning in the South East. If you are committed to high quality customer service, ready for a new challenge and are a dynamic and professional town planner with expertise in or a passion for neighbourhood and community planning – this is the role for you.
This is a high-profile community-facing role. You’ll manage the Council’s neighbourhood planning advice and support service as well as coordinate supporting contributions from the policy team and community planners.
We have a large number of neighbourhood plans in progress, covering both market towns and rural village areas. This post will also contribute to the progression of Local Plan work as required.
Senior Planning Policy Officer Responsibilities:
- develop the Council’s advice and support service to parish/town councils on neighbourhood planning options covering the designation, preparation, evidence base development, content, examination and project management of neighbourhood development plans.
- deliver a proactive, customer focused advice and support service to parish/town councils, and oversee the work of and provide advice to others who are also delivering advice and support to parish/town councils on neighbourhood planning.
- carry out research into a variety of topics as part of the work on the preparation of planning policy documents.
- write briefs, employ consultants and manage contracts for specialist work and projects.
- prepare draft sections of the local plan and supplementary planning documents and papers and reports on the Local Plan and other planning policy issues, including consultation documents for officers and members. Attend meetings (including evening and weekend meetings when requested)
- carry out consultations on the local plan and other planning policy documents including attendance at exhibitions and meetings.
- prepare and present evidence supporting the Council’s case at examinations.
- provide professional advice and input into other council policy documents and initiatives and to the development management team on major planning and other applications, where important planning policy issues are involved.
- assist in other aspects of the team’s work including input into county and other larger than local planning arrangements, management of the areas of outstanding natural beauty, nature conservation and transportation matters.
- assist in monitoring planning policies.
- undertake any other duties appropriate to the post grade.- assist in the supervision of the work of junior planning or technical officers.
Senior Planning Policy Officer Requirements:
- minimum of three years’ experience of working in planning, including experience of neighbourhood plans.
- experience of planning policy work.
- able to project manage work.
- experience of working within a customer focused environment dealing with the public and providing excellent customer service.
- good, accurate written communication skills.
- good oral skills and experience in giving clear, succinct and well argued presentations - formally and informally
- ability to interpret policies and law.
- a good knowledge of planning legislation.
- a good knowledge of planning policy.
- an ability to interpret scale drawings.
- ability and willingness to take individual responsibility for work.
- organised and able to set daily priorities to meet agreed standards.
- ability to work as a team member and contribute to the team.
- strong It experience in Windows environment and good keyboard skills.
Your essential qualifications
- a Degree or Diploma in Town Planning, or a related discipline, or equivalent level of experience.
- membership of the Royal Town Planning Institute.
- hold a full and current driving licence.
- have the use of a car insured for business purposes (you will need to be able to get to and from villages across the district).
If you have the following experience or qualifications – it’s a bonus:
- additional education in a related discipline.
- experience of coaching/ mentoring or managing staff.
About South Oxfordshire and Vale of White Horse District Councils:
South Oxfordshire and Vale of White Horse District Councils are forward-thinking local authorities, based in one of the most attractive areas of the country. They are looking for a professional, competent and enthusiastic person who can communicate well at all levels. An excellent benefits package is on offer including annualised hours (flexible working) and a career average pension scheme.
Location: Milton Park, Oxfordshire
Type: Fixed Term Contract (12 months)
Hours: Full Time (37 hours per week)
Salary: £41,555 - £46,294 per year
Closing Date: 2nd February 2021
You may have experience of the following: Senior Planning Policy Officer, Town Planning Officer, Urban Planning Officer, Development Management Officer, Planning Officer, Planning Policy Officer, Planning Consultant, Town Planning, Urban Regeneration, etc.