East London Academy of Design and Engineering
Yew Tree Avenue, Rainham Road South, Dagenham East, RM10 7FN
Tel: 0203 773 4672
Apprentice Mechatronics Technician
Hours: 40 hours per week/Term-time + 8 days during
Salary: Elutec Apprentice Scale A
Start: 01 September 2021
Responsible to: Assistant Principal, Faculty Lead for Science & Engineering
An exciting opportunity has arisen for an Apprentice Mechatronics Workshop Technician to join the Engineering team at Elutec to support the work of our students.
To train as a mechanical engineering apprentice technician, to undertake a structured training program of academic study and workshop work in order to gain the required skills and knowledge to support the engineering requirements of the UTC Engineering department.
Qualifications and experience:
- A minimum of 5 relevant level 2 qualifications including Maths, Science & English. An engineering qualification would be desirable.
- Understanding and experience of engineering workshops.
- Ability to organise and prioritise own workload whilst working alone or as part of a team.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills when dealing with students, staff and visitors.
- Excellent health and attendance record.
- Observing, learning and understanding a wide range of engineering skills and processes while under the instruction of skilled technical staff
- To be able to demonstrate these skills and processes as the training period progresses by working independently or with a team, to undertake tasks as instructed and increasing overall contribution to the department
- To undertake and successfully complete suitable college courses throughout the training period, achieving the academic grades and practical skills in order to entitle yearly progress leading to the award of a suitable level 3 qualification
- Learning and understanding the importance of Health & Safety within the workspace and the UTC
- To develop skills to construct or modify apparatus and instruments from verbal instructions and drawings, for research, teaching and student projects, to a high degree of precision
- To learn how to maintain workshop equipment and to keep it in good repair
- To maintain a log book over the duration of the apprenticeship period, recording projects that have been undertaken and the skills learned
- To maintain and to ensure general good housekeeping of the workplace and workshop areas
- To maintain a smart appearance and to act in a professional manner at all times
- To perform any other duties appropriate to the grade and role of the post holder
- Ensure the values of Elutec and those of the sponsors are evident in every aspect of the discharge of the duties of the post.
- Model the highest professional standards to staff and students in all aspects of the role, maintaining a visible presence around Elutec and leading by example.
- Be committed to working in a cohesive, supportive and forward-thinking team of colleagues which shares an ambitious vision to secure flagship status for Elutec.
- To work at all times to the standards as set out in the staff ‘code of conduct’.
For full details please see attached job description and person specification.
In return we offer a friendly, professional school with appropriate CPD opportunities.
Elutec Academy (the University Technical college for East London) aims to be one of the leading STEM UTC in the UK. Elutec Academy is housed in an impressive new building in Barking and Dagenham, surrounded by a Business and Science Park which is soon to be joined by an exciting new film studio complex. The school has excellent transport links, with Dagenham East tube station a short walk away.
The school’s exceptional sponsors include Ford Motor Company, one of the world's foremost design, engineering and manufacturing enterprises, and the Faculty of Engineering at University College London (UCL), ranked as one of the top 20 'super elite' universities in the world.
We offer staff the opportunity to work full or part-time along with on-going opportunities to continue their professional development.
To apply, please return your completed application form by email to: Mrs G Howard, HR Manager, email@example.com
CVs will not be accepted.
Closing date for applications: 26th February 2021
Elutec and all its personnel are committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of young people. This position is subject to an Enhanced Disclosure from the Disclosure and Barring Services and suitable references along with other essential checks.