Specialist Climate Emergency Officer
Salary range £38,890pa - £43,857pa
Wokingham Borough Council is seeking to recruit an experienced, innovative, enthusiastic carbon and climate change specialist, with excellent communication and organisational skills, who has the leadership skills required to support the delivery of the Councils Climate Emergency Action Plan and wider climate change agenda. In this role you will provide specialist technical advice to help develop policy and plans helping to deliver the ambition of making Wokingham Borough net zero carbon emissions by 2030.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
- Providing technical expertise focused on developing metrics, tools, insights, rationale, and strategic advice to support our low carbon journey.
- Identifying decarbonisation opportunities, including data analysis and undertaking technical/feasibility assessments of projects, plans, key strategies, for policy development
- Emissions forecasting and scenario modelling
- Establishing target setting (including science-based targets)
- Writing reports, climate action strategies and delivery plans
- Supporting business development activities, including leading/supporting grant applications, seeking savings on consultancy spend and developing carbon reduction policy
- Helping to embed climate emergency principles into the council’s processes including budget setting, procurement projects, and risk to extreme weather events.
- Provide expert advice on a range of planning applications, including reviewing and interrogating Sustainability Statements submitted by developers and providing technical input on whether the proposed development will achieve carbon reduction / net zero requirements in accordance with planning policy.
Skills, Attributes and Experience
- A degree or equivalent in a relevant field, such as energy, engineering and/or science discipline
- Strong and demonstrable experience of carbon footprinting/accounting and working with frameworks such as the Science-Based Targets initiative (SBTi)
- Experience of measurement, reporting and verification for energy efficiency, renewable energy and climate change programmes
- Experienced communicator with excellent written, verbal and presentation skills and an ability to interpret and communicate complex technical information to a non-technical audience
- Understanding of the policy and regulatory context for climate change in the UK
- Experience of socio-economic analysis relating to climate action plans, strategies and knowledge of financing solution for climate action
- Ability to use Microsoft suit
If you are interested in being part of a dynamic and high profile team would like an informal discussion please contact Rhian Hayes on 07769 956463
Wokingham Borough Council is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and vulnerable adults and expects all staff, other workers and volunteers to share this commitment.
Wokingham is an equal opportunities employer
Closing date: 11pm, 7th March 2021
Interviews: 15th/16th March 2021 (subject to change)