Income Recovery Officer – Tenant Services
RG5m (SCP 22 – 28)
£27,041 - £32,234
37 hours per week
We require an enthusiastic, intuitive and motivated individual to undertake a variety of tasks including being responsible for tenancy sustainment by trying to prevent eviction and therefore homelessness and providing advice on worklessness, the legal framework around possession claims for rent arrears, welfare benefits and reform changes. In addition to this you will also be helping to promote financial and digital inclusion.
About the role
Your main duties will include identifying cases where current tenants are not paying the agreed rent charges, offer advice and support to those who are experiencing difficulties and take legal action against those tenants who continually break agreements and/or miss payments according to pre-court protocol, legislation and Council policies.
As part of your role you will:
- Interview tenants face-to-face at the public counter, negotiating realistic agreements to pay back rent arrears.
- Take part in answering incoming telephone enquiries, taking ownership of the problem and ensuring a speedy response is given.
- Looking at each case on its own merit and finding new ways of trying to engage with tenants.
- Visiting debtors/tenants who live within the Borough in order to recover arrears or resolve any rent, housing benefit, Universal Credit, debtor or tenancy related problems efficiently and effectively.
- To attend case conferences in relation to the accounts you are responsible for with the aim of applying a joined up working approach to tenancy sustainment.
- Preparing and presenting possession order and warrant hearing cases in the County Court acting as the representatives of the landlord (Reading Borough Council).
This role also involves close working relationships with the Council’s Debt Advice team, Housing Officers, Housing Benefit Officers, Social Inclusion Officers and other council sections and outside agencies.
- You will have previous computer experience
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Knowledge of rent arrears recovery, welfare benefits and experience of working in a similar environment would be preferred. If you do not have previous experience, to be able to show that you have the ability to undertake this role.
We offer a supportive environment to grow and develop your career with the opportunity to put your ideas across. Innovation and ambition is strongly encouraged, and you’ll get a great feel for that working in our friendly and collaborative environment.
A competitive salary alongside a range of benefits including:
- Generous holiday entitlement - 24 days holiday each year plus bank holidays - rising to 32 days after 10 years' service, with the option to buy additional leave
- A wide range of flexible working opportunities
- Modern working environment at the Civic Offices in the heart of Reading
Local Government Pension Scheme (LGPS)
- On-site day nursery (Kennet Day nursery) rated outstanding by Ofsted, and a salary sacrifice scheme to help lower the cost of your nursery fees
- Season Ticket Loan - to help with the cost of your rail/ bus journey, to & from work
- Lease car salary sacrifice scheme allowing you to lease a brand new, greener car for three years. The monthly fee includes insurance, servicing and road tax
If you would like an informal discussion regarding any further information about the role, please contact Stephen.email@example.com
Closing date: 5th May
Interview date: w/c 10th May
Please can you ensure that when applying you complete the personal statement part of the application in addition to supplying a CV, giving details based on the job description and person specification of how you are able to carry out this role.
Please note that the closing date is given as a guide. We reserve the right to close this vacancy once a sufficient number of applications has been received. Therefore, it is strongly advised that you complete and return your application as soon as possible to avoid disappointment.
Reading Borough Council is a Disability Confident Employer and is committed to the recruitment and continued employment of people with disabilities.