Surrey Heath Borough Council is seeking to recruit an enthusiastic, innovative individual with excellent communication and organisational skills, who is passionate about sustainability and climate change. The overall purpose of this job is to support the implementation of the Surrey Heath Climate Change Action Plan and relevant associated strategies. You will help communicate and engage partners to inspire, build capacity and support action by and with all SHBC’s communities. This will involve developing new initiatives, creating partnerships and grants applications to enable more communities to take action.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
- Research, monitoring, analysis, reporting and reviewing key issues, opportunities, risks, and performance for policy development and implementation of plans.
- This job will develop and deliver the actions identified in the Action Plan and help the Council achieve its ambitious carbon reduction and environmental targets.
- Be an effective communicator who is able to communicate key messages to a wide audience including senior stakeholders
- Supporting project management activity
- Assisting with policy matters relating to Climate Change and the Environment
- Report writing
- Monitoring strategy performance
- The post is also intended to support the Planning Policy and Conservation Team with the development of the new Local Plan Supporting bid proposals.
Skills, Attributes and Experience
- A degree or equivalent
- Excellent knowledge on climate change policy and practice
- Experience in carbon footprint accounting
- Good communicator (both written and verbal)
- Excellent time management skills and project management experience
- Excellent presentation skills
- Eye for detail and data analyst skills
- Ability to use Microsoft suit
- Enthusiastic and keen to learn
The Climate Change Officer will need to work with colleagues across the Council to deliver a range of projects on reducing carbon emissions from our buildings and fleet, to monitor and report on performance against environmental targets and to communicate climate change and environmental issues to internal and external stakeholders.
The ideal candidate will have the commercial acumen and entrepreneurial vision to take charge of growth within this new sphere of the business. You will be an engaging communicator, confident when liaising with clients and key stakeholders, as well as design teams and planning authorities. You will be a skilled project manager, delivering projects on time and to budget, to support the business to achieve its ambitious growth plans.
A generous benefits package includes; a minimum of 24 days’ annual leave, Local Government Pension Scheme and free parking.
For an informal discussion, please contact Kieran Bartlett, Senior Planning Officer on 01276 707209, Kieran.firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing date: 11th April 2021
Interview date: TBC
Surrey Heath Borough Council is committed to equality of opportunity in employment and service delivery and welcomes applications from all sectors of the community.
NO AGENCY CALLS PLEASE