We are looking to appoint an enthusiastic and committed Environmental Health Officer with experience of food and health and safety enforcement work to join a new multi-skilled compliance team. The team regulates a diverse range of disciplines including: food safety, health & safety, licensing, pollution, planning, private sector housing and environmental crime. Your role will be to deliver regulatory services in relation to food safety, occupational health and safety and infectious disease control. You will also make a vital contribution to our Covid-19 compliance and prevention work.
For an informal discussion about this role, please contact Justine Fuller, Head of Environment and Regulatory Services, on 01483 444370 or by email at email@example.com
Qualifications: Qualified Environmental Health Practitioner, CIEH Accreditation (desirable)
Knowledge: A detailed knowledge of food safety, occupational health and safety and infectious disease control legislation, codes of practice and associated guidance is essential, as is the ability to use your initiative, investigate, make sound judgements and take a range of risk-based proportionate interventions.
Experience: You will have experience of a wide range of food and health and safety interventions and investigations, food sampling, infectious disease control, skin piercing registrations, commenting on applications for licensed premises and undertaking monitoring visits in respect of licensed premises and outdoor events. Preparing reports, representations, orders, and legal notices and to take relevant action, including the giving of evidence in court, to remedy contraventions and to continuously improve standards of compliance.
Compliance Officer Level 1:
- Working collaboratively with colleagues across the organisation, members and managing key relationships e.g. with members, partners, other stakeholders.
- Deliver customer-focused specialist advice, services and enforcement for one area of specialism, keeping up to date with current and emerging legislation, best practice and policy to ensure continuous development and improvement in services
- Ensure personal, professional development is maintained to the required standards
- Access and accurately update all relevant information systems, both customer and back office ensuring that the master customer record is updated and maintained through verification and validation, and in accordance with Data Protection principles
Compliance Officer Level 2 (in addition to the above):
- Manage complex or contentious applications, cases and inspections that will require an understanding of one specialist area, processes and compliance, regulations and legislation, acting as the single point of contact for customers on those cases, attending court as appropriate
- Acting as member of corporate or community project teams - providing specialist advice and input
- Provide functional guidance to customer service advisors and caseworkers for at least one area of specialism
Compliance Officer Level 3 (in addition to the above):
- Owning key professional and technical stakeholder relationships on behalf of the Council relevant to day-to-day delivery of services or projects
- Provide functional guidance of complex or contentious applications, cases and inspections in at least one specialist area
For a full overview of this role, please read the job profile attached.
Guildford is a regional centre for leisure, business, education, shopping and culture set in beautiful countryside that includes the Surrey Hills Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty. Guildford is a thriving market town and is a principal shopping destination with a vibrant night time economy. The town’s geographical location provides excellent transport links in all directions, London is just 30 minutes away on the train and the town is well-served by frequent bus routes and subsidised Park and Ride facilities. All of this contributes to a quality of life that attracts many people to live, work in and visit Guildford.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity. All employment decisions are made on the basis of qualifications, merit and business need. Our organisation is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults, and expects all staff and post-holders to share this commitment. To fulfil this commitment we have robust systems in place for the safe recruitment of staff and volunteers.
Appointment and progression through grades will be based on the needs of the business.
A basic DBS check will be required for the successful candidate prior to appointment.