West Sussex County Council (WSCC) is a diverse organisation that provides services to more than 850,000 residents every day. The Human Resources and Organisational Change Directorate provides critical support functions to our services, focusing on delivering better and cost-effective outcomes. Our teams use their experience to enable and challenge the Council to deliver improved efficiency and effectiveness.
For more information, please visit our WSCC website.
About The Job
Salary: £51,764 - £54,823
Working Pattern: Full-time (37 hours per week however requests for alternative working hours will be considered)
Location: County Hall, Chichester (with flexible working options)
Do you have a passion and drive for Equalities, Diversity and Inclusion (EDI)?
We have refocused the Council's strategic plan and our refreshed workforce strategy places equality, diversity and inclusion as underpinning the key themes. We have created a new role to provide subject matter expertise on EDI matters and develop, co-ordinate and deliver the diversity and inclusion priorities in the People Framework. This is an exciting opportunity where you can help shape and drive a high-profile area and enable a supportive and inclusive culture.
You will lead on the Council's workforce EDI priorities, ensuring that our employment practices support and advance an inclusive organisational culture and the County Council as an employer of choice. Working closely with HR colleagues, trade unions, staff networks and senior leadership teams you will develop and implement approaches to EDI that challenge the status quo and identify priority areas for intervention and transformation. You will provide expert advice to HR colleagues and ensure that our employment policies and practices comply with equalities legislation and drive best practice.
Experience and Skills
You will be an experienced HR professional with in-depth knowledge of workforce equality and diversity issues, legislation and best practice. You will be passionate about EDI with experience of implementing measures to advance equality and inclusion in the workplace and the ability to provide robust technical advice.
You will have excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to deal credibly with professional colleagues, customers, senior managers and executives whilst being challenging, professional and commercially focused. In addition, you will also be able to demonstrate the following key skills and experience.
- The ability to work collaboratively with representative groups, trade unions and other stakeholders on complex issues.
- The ability to challenge existing practices, develop innovative solutions and influence change.
- The ability to provide direction and support to individuals and teams.
- Excellent communication skills, with ability to present and clearly explain policy and technical issues/information effectively at all levels of the organisation, in a concise, accurate and understandable way.
- Inclusive team player prepared to take a corporate approach.
- The ability to effectively manage a varied workload with conflicting priorities.
Qualifications and/or experience:
- A good understanding of employment legislation and best practice in HR.
- In-depth knowledge, understanding and commitment to equalities and diversity in employment and its application to large public-sector employers.
- Experience of advancing equalities, diversity and inclusion in the workplace.
- Experience of providing comprehensive advice and guidance on complex and contentious employment matters.
- Experience of developing, implementing and evaluating HR interventions and policies.
- Post graduate qualification relevant to HR or equivalent experience.
Rewards and Benefits
In addition to 29 days holiday as an employer we recognise that it is our employees that are central to everything we do. We aim to create a supportive and dynamic working environment where employees can achieve their full potential, achieve a healthy work-life balance and are rewarded for the work they do.
For a full list of the benefits offered to you as a West Sussex County Council employee you can find them on our Rewards and Benefits page.
The reference number for this role is CRS00446.
Closing Date: Friday 16 April 2021