We're working to embed a Health in All Policies approach across the whole organisation, promoting health, and wellbeing and sustainability, and reducing health inequalities within the context of the built and natural environment. This rare opportunity will take the lead - do you have the skills we're looking for?
For more information about West Sussex County Council, please visit our WSCC About Us page
About The Job
Salary: £36,922 to £39,880 per annum
Working Pattern: Full time/Part time, 37 hour per week, flexible working patterns welcome
Location: Chichester, County Hall,
Interview date: 24 -26 May 2021
The role is a key part of our established and influential sustainability team, working to support Public Health teams and with senior leaders across the organisation.
You will lead on and embed a Health in all Policies approach across WSCC, taking a collaborative approach with district and borough planning teams and WSCC leads to design healthy and sustainable places by getting 'health into place' across West Sussex. You'll champion the objectives in the Creating Healthy and Sustainable Places in West Sussex strategic framework. You will work closely and in cooperation with existing partnerships and local and national organisations such as Public Health England, the NHS and the Local Nature Partnership.
This role is predominantly desk-based, usually at home. There is an occasional requirement for travel to other offices or partner locations.
Experience and Skills
We are looking for someone who has;
- Bags of enthusiasm - be able to demonstrate real passion for this agenda
- Credibility - bringing your professional experience to our team
- Networking - your connections will help us reach new audiences
- A strong willingness to challenge and persuade - we can always do better
- An ability to use your initiative, try new things and listen to feedback
- A determined and pro-active, self-managed approach to deliver real change
- To manage conflicting demands, remain calm under pressure and work well with others.
- Sound partnership working skills including the ability to influence, facilitate and successfully co-ordinate partners to deliver objectives.
- Ability to influence and challenge existing practices and identify and communicate innovative solutions.
- Strong negotiation skills, thinking about strategic priorities, outcomes, goals and objectives, ability to consider a range of options and willingness to have a meaningful dialogue with others.
- Level of applied knowledge in researching, analysing and evaluating arguments and information and an effective ability to simply communicate that research and conclusions.
- Deliver communications in a clear, concise and compelling manner, both verbally and written. This requires the post-holder to be articulate and a confident charismatic presenter to a wide variety of stakeholders, with an excellent grasp of English, both oral and written.
Qualifications and/or experience:
- A degree in a relevant subject e.g. social sciences or public health related.
- Sound practical and theoretical knowledge and experience of the political environment of local government, NHS and partner organisations, including an understanding of the decision-making processes.
- Expert specialist, theoretical and practical knowledge relating to at least one of public health, sustainable development or planning policies.
- Ideally experience delivering a 'health in all policies' approach and embedding public health.
- Significant experience of resolving complex problems and issues.
Rewards and Benefits
As an employer we recognise that it is our employees that are central to everything we do. We aim to create a supportive and dynamic working environment where employees can achieve their full potential, achieve a healthy work-life balance and are rewarded for the work they do.
Aside from 26 days annual leave, you will also have access to a full list of the benefits offered to you as a West Sussex County Council employee you can find them on our Rewards and Benefits page.
The reference number for this role is EIE00795.
For issues or queries regarding your application please contact .
To apply, upload your CV and complete the application explaining the skills and experience you can bring to the role ensuring that any gaps in employment are covered in your CV. Please ensure you have saved the job description attached to the main advert on our website as, once the job has closed, you may not have the opportunity to download again.
We are committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults
This post is subject to satisfactory references, health check.
Note for Recruitment Agencies: We prefer to hire people directly, but we do have a supplier list for when we need a helping hand. We'll be in touch directly if we need you!