The Safeguarding Enquires team is a small team that carries out large scale complex enquiries. We work with organisations, care homes and service providers where there has been significant safeguarding concerns and / or a wider public interest / possible risk to others.
The team undertake safeguarding enquiries with individuals who use the services with the emphasis on making safeguarding personal. Alongside this we work with service providers to address the causes and put plans in place to prevent and reduce the risk of harm.
About The Job
Salary: Grade 9 £29,577 to £32,234 to Grade 10 £32,910 to £35,745
Working Pattern: Full time 37 hours and part time available
Contract Length: Permanent
We are looking for people who are resilient, have a good knowledge of adult safeguarding, who are able to engage with people and work collaboratively and flexibly to achieve solutions that improve and sustain lives and care services.
Working as a Social Worker in the Enquires team, your role will involve undertaking safeguarding enquiries and working with adults from 18 years and upwards with physical disabilities, acquired brain injuries, chronic health conditions, older people and people with dementia.
You will need to be confident in assessing risk and be an effective communicator as you will be working with members of the public and professionals from different disciplines.
Experience and Skills
- Theoretical, practical and procedural knowledge of social work, with up-to-date working knowledge of legislation relevant to the specialist area of the post e.g. The Care Act and the Mental Capacity Act.
- Good understanding of the necessity of working with partnership agencies including health, housing, learning, statutory, voluntary and independent sector.
- Able to use own initiative where appropriate, in a context of good support and supervision.
- Organise own workload and respond independently to unexpected problems and situations - (With support of line manager for advice and guidance on serious problems).
- Able to support people who access or need the service and / or subject matter which may place emotional demands on the individual.
- Able to deal with challenging behaviour from people who access or need the service.
Qualifications and/or experience:
- Degree in social work or equivalent qualification e.g. Certificate of Qualification in Social Work or Diploma in Social Work.
- Appropriately registered with Social Work England and responsibility for maintaining registration.
- Valid, full driving licence with ability to travel throughout the County with own transport.
Rewards and Benefits
In addition to working within a great team and a competitive salary you will have access to:
- 26 days annual leave + bank holidays with the ability to buy additional leave annually.
- Access to a generous, defined benefit pension scheme.
- A range of flexible working options.
For a full list of the benefits offered to you as a West Sussex County Council employee you can find them on our Rewards and Benefits page.
The reference number for this role is CAFHE03076 .
For an informal conversation or for further information regarding the role, please contact Dee Scrivens, Team Manager on 03302 228 174. For issues or queries regarding your application please contact .
To apply, upload your CV and complete the application explaining the skills and experience you can bring to the role ensuring that any gaps in employment are covered in your CV. Please ensure you have saved the job description attached to the main advert on our website as, once the job has closed, you may not have the opportunity to download again.
We are committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults. This post is subject to Social Worker England registration, an enhanced DBS check, 5 years referencing and a health check.
West Sussex County Council is an equal opportunities employer committed to promoting an environment that is inclusive and free from all forms of unlawful or unfair discrimination and values the diversity of its people. We actively welcome applications from people of all backgrounds and take every possible step to ensure that no individual will be disadvantaged.
For information regarding your eligibility to apply for this role under our Disability or Veteran's Guaranteed Interview Scheme, this can be found on our application help page.
Note for Recruitment Agencies: We prefer to hire people directly, but we do have a supplier list for when we need a helping hand. We'll be in touch directly if we need you!