Centrally located in the Thames Gateway, Gravesham Borough Council provides a range of services to over 106,000 people and 4,000 businesses.
The Borough of Gravesham, situated in the north west corner of Kent, covers 25,000 acres of the most varied countryside in south east England.
Bordered by the River Thames to the north, it is at the heart of Thames Gateway and has a significant role to play in the regeneration of a major government growth area.
Gravesham Borough Council is committed to delivering to the community and working with us means you are part of delivering the level of growth and improvement our community needs and deserves.
This position is within the Technical Services team of the IT Department who provide helpdesk support to 450 users across two sites. The Technical Services team play an important role within the council and their responsibilities includes the monitoring and support of IT infrastructure, end user devices, software and telephony. Working with other members of the team you will be responsible for providing IT support to users, installing new systems and rolling out new projects. You will also be responsible for supporting elected members with tablet devices.
This post is career graded in line with Skills Framework for the Information Age competency levels. Opportunity will be given to the post holder to progress through the competency levels up to grade POB.
- Network Supervision and PC support
- Resolving PC and Network problems reported by users allocated from the IT Helpdesk.
- Setting up new users on the network, changing existing users configurations and installing software on the network.
- Assisting users with software packages in use on the network, especially
office automation facilities (Word Processor, Spreadsheet, Email) and keeping abreast of developments and enhancements in relation to the software in use on the
- Ensuring helpdesk requests are carried out within the timescales of the allocated
- Maintaining good customer relations and carrying out work in accordance with customer needs.
- Assisting in the preparation of effective backup and contingency procedures in the event of server or network cabling problems.
- Liaising with suppliers of consumable items to obtain the best price. Ensure
invoices for consumables are processed promptly.
- Ensuring the council is compliant with software licensing, and ordering additional licenses if necessary.
- Maintaining an inventory of all hardware and software.
- Ensuring that all documentation relating to network procedures is kept up to
- Checking of email monitoring system to ensure no legitimate messages have been blocked.
- Maintain the patching of all council systems (PC's and Servers) to ensure they are up to date with vendor supplied patches and hotfixes.
- Ensure that the councils anti virus and security software is up to date.
- Providing technical support for the Council’s publically accessible services (web sites) and Intranet.
- Participating in the weekend security rota involving out of normal hours
- Carry out IT operational duties as required.
Essential qualifications/experience- Minimum of 5 years experience supporting Personal Computer Hardware, Software, Networks and Servers including virtualisation technology (VMware), cloud infrastructure (Azure) and remote access (Citrix). Working knowledge of telephone systems and telecoms.
Desirable qualifications/experience- Microsoft Certification (MCSA, MCSE), Cisco (CCNA), ITIL (Foundation)
In return we offer you:
A generous holiday entitlement, plus paid bank holidays.
In-house and external training including non-qualification, Continued Personal Development (CPD), NVQ and other qualification training.
Employee Assistance Programme
The Employee Assistance Programme (EAP) is a free and confidential support service, offering you unlimited access to advice and information as well as coaching and counselling where appropriate.
Available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year, the service is there to help you manage all of life's events and support you through the challenges. Their expert advisers are there to help,
whenever you need them. Support on the telephone, online and face to face.
A very secure pension scheme which both you and we pay into. More information can be found on the Local Government Pension Scheme website.
An on-site Occupational Health Advisor. We have an occupational health service provided by East Kent Hospitals University Foundation NHS Trust. The service is delivered by a team of health professionals who specialise in occupational medicine and deal with the relationship between your work and your health. Occupational Health also works with us to resolve any issues in the workplace and also to ensure that well-being at work is maintained.
If you would like to have an informal discussion with the recruiting manager call Ross Evans on 01474 337727.
Applicants must be able to demonstrate all essential requirements as listed in the job profile
Equal Opportunities Commitment Statement
Gravesham Borough Council is committed to creating an inclusive work environment with a diverse workforce. All appropriately qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, disability or age
Please be advised that if you are not contacted within 3 weeks of the advert closing date then you have not been shortlisted. All recruitment correspondence, including interview letters and contracts of employment will usually be sent out via email.
We reserve the right to close this vacancy at any time prior to the closing date.