Here at WSCC our services are vital to the residents of West Sussex, to ensure we can deliver this we need the appropriate facilities which are fit for purpose and well maintained. Facilities Management (FM) are responsible for maintaining the diverse portfolio of buildings in the West Sussex estate. Our vision is to facilitate a rationalised WSCC estate that is fit for purpose, in a known condition and proactively maintained in order to function at the optimal operating costs to support delivery of Corporate Objectives.
Our mission is to keep all WSCC properties fit for purpose and, in support of the Site Responsible Manager, safe, in order to enable resident front line Services to conduct uninterrupted delivery of the Corporate Objectives: The Best Start in Life; Independence in Later Life; A Strong, Safe and Sustainable Place, A Council that works for the Community; and A Prosperous Place.
The quality of the service delivered by you will, as the customer's initial point of contact, play a key role in that customer's experience of the WSCC Facilities Management team and will thus contribute to the shaping of the department's reputation both internally and externally.
For more information, please visit our WSCC website.
Salary: £ 20,092 - £ 20,493 per annum
Working Pattern: Full-time (37 hours per week) - Monday to Friday
Locations: Across West Sussex - 1 x Chichester, 1 x Worthing, 1 x Horsham/Crawley, 1 x Bognor Regis
Here at WSCC we have opportunities for Facilities Support Officer to be based in our main hub Buildings. You will report to the Area Facilities Manager working within a team managing maintenance and compliance at County Council buildings ensuring a safe environment for staff and customers.
This role will act as the initial point of contact for the corporate helpdesk enquiries, providing a truly customer-focused service which delivers 'Customer Excellence' standards consistently across the organisation. The role will require the post holder to always 'Think Customer' and act as a role model for the wider team by actively ensuring each customer receives appropriate information and advice to meet a diverse range of needs.
You will be responsible for supporting the team to manage a range of essential Facilities and Building Management Services. You will need to have a good understanding and appreciation of the need to maintain essential building services and security. You will be a problem solver who can cope with frequent interruptions and be able to juggle competing demands and prioritise your workload accordingly. You will have excellent Customer Service skills & can build excellent working relationships with both our customers, Contractors & our own teams. You will enjoy resolving a range of customer queries & be able to respond to these both verbally & via email. You will be confident with IT, with a good knowledge of Microsoft packages & be able to use other Facilities Management related software packages, to analyse the data from these systems.
Experience and Skills
You will need to be able to concentrate over lengthy periods, and experience and able to log, monitor and/or update records using the Helpdesk software. The job may involve some physical effort for example, manoeuvring heavy furniture when assisting with office moves and room setups.
In addition, you will also be able to demonstrate the following key skills and experience:
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, to be able to articulate to members of staff, contractors and the public often technical information in a way which is meaningful.
- Good literacy and numeracy skills in order to understand written instructions describing tasks, e.g. reading instructions to ensure alarm systems are working correctly or updating records and developing manuals and procedures.
- Ability to respond independently, analyse problems and implement practical solutions.
- Competent and accurate IT and keyboard skills, with the ability to work with a range of specialist systems as well as key Microsoft packages.
- Able to prioritise between a number of competing demands and remain calm when irate or unhappy people telephone the Area Office.
- Influencing skills to be able to persuade colleagues to draft responses to letters or provide information on progress.
Qualifications and/or experience:
- Educated to GCSE standard or equivalent qualifications or comparable experience
- Customer services experience, providing information, resolving queries and prioritising calls/emails.
- Experience of working as part of a larger team and maintaining wide organisational knowledge in order to direct enquiries to the most appropriate person.
- Experience with helpdesk an advantage - Desirable
- Experience of building and Facilities Management Services.
- Experience of mentoring, coaching and delivering skills-based training.
Rewards and Benefits
In addition to 23 days holiday as an employer we recognise that it is our employees that are central to everything we do. We aim to create a supportive and dynamic working environment where employees can achieve their full potential, achieve a healthy work-life balance and are rewarded for the work they do.
For a full list of the benefits offered to you as a West Sussex County Council employee you can find them on our Rewards and Benefits page.
The reference number for this role is EIE00806.
Closing Date: Friday 7 May 2021.
To apply, upload your CV and complete the application explaining the skills and experience you can bring to the role ensuring that any gaps in employment are covered in your CV. Please ensure you have saved the job description attached to the main advert on our website as, once the job has closed, you may not have the opportunity to download again.