Communication Support Worker, for an Early Years Pupil in Nursery
Salary £9.43 per hour
Hours 15 (8.30am until 11.30am Monday to Friday)
Contract Type – Part Time, Term Time only
At Oak View Primary Academy we are proud to deliver a rich creative learning experience that enables all the children to fulfil their potential.
Our vision puts children first. When children enjoy all aspects of school and are enthusiastic, independent learners they gain the most from their education.
We believe this climate for success is delivered through the creation of an equal partnership between children, parents and the school.
We are looking for a communication support worker to join our team to support an early years pupil in our two year old provision who is deaf and uses BSL as his first language.
At Oak View Primary Academy we have lower than average class sizes and our focus is on the wellbeing of the children we support, as well as their education. We encompass a holistic approach to the curriculum and offer our students opportunities many other schools can’t. Examples of this are the residential visits, free-swimming lessons and wrap around club. Our curriculum is more than just learning, it is about opening the children’s eyes to the world of possibility around them.
We are looking to appoint a nurturing and caring adult who has the level 2 or 3 British Sign Language qualification to work with a deaf child in our two year old provision (Little Acorns). The position is part-time (15 hrs) fixed term position, working from 8.30 am to 11.30am Monday to Friday. We are looking to fill the post as soon as possible.
Communication is key to help support our pupil and to give them the opportunity to flourish in the early years setting adapting the curriculum to provide full access for a two year old deaf learner.
- Preferably Level 3 BSL with experience of the Deaf community or level 2 BSL with extensive experience of working within the Deaf community with BSL users and/or signing children.
- To be able to translate spoken English into BSL at a level that is appropriate for a child within the Early Years to enable them to access the curriculum in their native language.
- To demonstrate a good knowledge of deaf awareness
- To have knowledge of the Early Years curriculum
- To have experience working within the Early years or with young children
Duties and responsibilities
- To work as a Communication Support Worker within the EYFS setting
- To provide 1:1 support to a pupil who is profoundly deaf to ensure inclusivity
- To translate spoken English into BSL at a level that is appropriate for a child in the Early Years
- To translate BSL into spoken English to share the pupil’s wants, needs, thoughts and feelings, where appropriate.
- To work as part of a team of teachers and teaching assistants to support access to teaching and learning through play and social interaction.
- To work under the direction of the class teacher with guidance from the Sensory Service and Teacher of the Deaf.
- To support the pupil to interact socially and in learning sessions, with both adults and peers
- To support the pupil to continue to progress in line with their peers.
This is a fantastic time to join Oak View Academy as we strive to achieve the best possible outcomes for our pupils. If you have any questions, please contact email@example.com Visits are not possible at present, but we would encourage you to look at the video tour of our Early Years on the homepage of our website.
The closing date is noon on Friday 7th May 2021. The application form can be found on our website www.oak-view-academy.co.uk
All appointments are subject to an Enhanced DBS disclosure, overseas police check (if applicable) and professional reference checks.