Governance and Scrutiny Officer
Permanent Full-time PO2 £38,883 – £41,850
We are looking for a highly motivated individual, capable of dealing with the demanding responsibilities of the Council’s democratic processes and championing good governance. You will be required to support the smooth operation of the council’s formal committee meetings including co-ordination of the council’s Scrutiny meetings, and managing activities related to the function. You will be innovative, positive and help to drive improvement.
The successful candidate will have a thorough knowledge of how local government works and a good knowledge of the Modgov IT system. You will be required to develop and maintain effective relationships working closely with councillors, senior officers and fellow team members able to provide constitutional advice on the council’s decision-making processes ensuring high standards of service and governance are upheld.
You will have strong all-round communication and interpersonal skills, political awareness, tact and diplomacy, attention to detail, an ability to think logically and plan ahead and work with the minimum of supervision. Reliability and calmness under pressure are pre-requisites, given that the role often involves working to tight deadlines.
The Council’s meetings are held in the evening therefore, a flexible approach and regular attendance at evening meetings is a requirement of this post.
Why it's great to work for Enfield Council
- An excellent pension through the Local Government Pension Scheme (LGPS).
- Up to 31 days annual leave depending on grade and length of service. You will also get eight public holidays per year and an extra day off at Christmas.
- A blend of remote and office based working for most roles.
- Interest free season ticket loan repayable over three or ten months.
- Career development and learning experiences from a range of training courses and learning methods.
- Employee Assistance Programme to provide advice and counselling services. This is a free and confidential service available to staff and members of their family.
- Health and leisure discounts and tax-free bikes for work.
We are passionate about our people and how we deliver services to our community in Enfield. That’s why we encourage a culture that puts our customers at the heart of everything we do - by empowering our people to work together to find solutions, be open, honest and respectful, take responsibility and listen and learn. If you value these behaviours too, we’d love to hear from you - and of course we are always happy to talk flexible working, click here to find out more.
Closing and Interview Dates
Closing Date: 10th May 2021
Interview Date: TBC
If you have any difficulties accessing this information, please contact Oley Taal Gaye on 0208 132 1043 or email@example.com. A textphone (minicom) is provided for those with a hearing or speech impairment on 020 8379 4419.
If you would like to know more about the role, please contact Claire Johnson on 020 8132 1154 or Clare Bryant on 0208 132 3159 for an informal discussion or to arrange a visit to the team.
We reserve the right to close this vacancy once a sufficient number of applications have been received. Therefore, we advise that you complete fully and submit your application as soon as possible to avoid disappointment.