West Sussex County Council delivers services to meet the needs of people, both now and in the future, ensuring that the service is flexible, responsive and sees people for who they are, as well as what they can and wish to do.
We endeavour to balance the individuality, needs, wishes and rights of each and every person, with our duty to adhere to all of the relevant legislation, organisational policies and procedures.
About The Job
Salary: Grade 4 £19,312 to £19,698
Working Pattern: Part time hours available
Contract Length: Permanent
In this role, you will undertake a variety of tasks involved in the operation of the establishment's kitchen. you will prepare and cook nutritionally balanced and appetising meals for customers, help with the provision of hot drinks and cater for special events and functions.
It's an active role, for example, you will be carrying shopping and heavy pots and pans at times, and working in a busy kitchen environment.
You will need to be flexible in working both weekdays and occasional weekends and evenings to ensure the needs of the home / centre are met. There is a regular and intrinsic requirement to communicate in English with members of the public, staff, residents, and visitors.
To succeed as a Cook, you will be friendly, enthusiastic and hardworking with the ability to follow defined instructions to a high standard when assisting in preparing and serving food.
You will be a keen team player, responsive to changing needs, and able to work professionally alongside staff, visitors and residents. You'll demonstrate good common sense and an awareness of personal health and safety when using kitchen equipment and materials.
Experience and Skills
- Basic communication and interpersonal skills (including use of tact) in order to take messages and interpret straightforward instructions and situations.
- Good literacy and numeracy skills, for example to be able to complete records and design menus as required.
- Ability to organise/prioritise work, and co-ordinate a variety of tasks in a clear and logical way to meet agreed deadlines.
- Ability to be sensitive to the needs of the customers.
- Ability to prepare food of a varied nature to a high standard.
- Ability to purchase food ingredients for the home.
Qualifications and/or experience
- 3 GCSEs with A-C passes including Maths and English, or equivalent qualification or demonstrable equivalent experience.
- Recognised Food Handling and Hygiene qualification, Basic Food Hygiene certificate.
- NVQ Level 2 in catering or equivalent qualification or demonstrable equivalent experience.
- Knowledge of ordering, costing and stock control.
- Knowledge of effective cooking techniques and healthy, nutritious recipes.
- Knowledge of cleaning schedules and their implementation.
- Awareness of Health and Safety issues, including risk assessment.
- Sound cooking experience, including preparing, cooking and serving meals for a large group of people.
- Experience of cleaning and using both domestic and commercial equipment.
- Experience of working as part of a team.
Rewards and Benefits
In addition to working within a great team and a competitive salary you will have access to:
- 24 days annual leave + bank holidays with the ability to buy additional leave annually.
- Access to a generous, defined benefit pension scheme.
- A range of flexible working options.
For a full list of the benefits offered to you as a West Sussex County Council employee you can find them on our Rewards and Benefits page.
The reference number for this role is CAFHE03114 .
For an informal conversation or for further information regarding the role, please contact Tania Reynolds, Registered Manager on 03302 228 987. For issues or queries regarding your application please contact .
To apply, upload your CV and complete the application explaining the skills and experience you can bring to the role ensuring that any gaps in employment are covered in your CV. Please ensure you have saved the job description attached to the main advert on our website as, once the job has closed, you may not have the opportunity to download again.
We are committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults. This post is subject to an enhanced DBS check, 5 years referencing and a health check.
West Sussex County Council is an equal opportunities employer committed to promoting an environment that is inclusive and free from all forms of unlawful or unfair discrimination and values the diversity of its people. We actively welcome applications from people of all backgrounds and take every possible step to ensure that no individual will be disadvantaged.
For information regarding your eligibility to apply for this role under our Disability or Veteran's Guaranteed Interview Scheme, this can be found on our application help page.
Note for Recruitment Agencies: We prefer to hire people directly, but we do have a supplier list for when we need a helping hand. We'll be in touch directly if we need you!