About the job
Salary: £20,903 - £22,183 per annum (pro-rata for part time) plus weekend working enhancements for weekend working. You will also receive a Crawley Allowance for roles based in Crawley.
Working Pattern: Part time and full time hours available (37 hours full time) + rota for evening and weekend work
Location: Worthing, Shoreham, Cuckfield and Crawley *please state in your cover letter your location preference or Home preference.
Interview Date: TBC (interviews will take place via MS Teams, Skype or equivalent)
Are you passionate about supporting vulnerable children and young people? Find out more below.
About the role of Childcare Worker
You will become part of a high performing, incredibly welcoming, child-centred team that really makes a difference to children's and young people's lives.
Our dedicated and skilled staff are keen to ensure that children and young people who stay with us feel at home and safe with many opportunities for both fun and learning. They are each supported to reach their full potential in a range of creative ways.
The role of Childcare Worker includes managing challenging behaviour and providing personal care, which enables the children to maintain and improve their skills and daily lives in line with individual care plans.
You will help to provide a nurturing, positive and safe environment for our children and young people, ensuring that we meet our statutory obligations to the highest standards possible. With direct responsibility for designated children or young people, you will ensure that each person is given the appropriate care and support to achieve their full potential.
There are many challenges, but we support each other to overcome these and work closely with many other professionals too. This enables us to continue to provide the high quality of care to our children, in a homely and caring environment.
*please state in your cover letter your location preference or Home preference.
Experience and skills
- Sound communication and interpersonal skills in order to provide clear and concise advice and specialist guidance to a range of children and families
- Ability to promote and encourage a multi-agency approach to support the child
- Ability to use IT to write detailed accurate and factual written reports
- Ability to use initiative to resolve problems within given parameters
- Ability to work under pressure and prioritise work
- Ability to work as part of a team around a child
Qualifications and/or experience:
- Good standard of literacy e.g. ability to write reports around individual young people and significant incidents and to be able to write application for level 3 diploma if required. Could be gained through formal education or vocational experience.
- Level 3 Diploma in Residential Childcare or equivalent qualification. If you do not have this, the service will support you to complete this qualification; you must achieve this within two years of appointment as it is a statutory requirement of this post.
- Awareness of the development needs of children in residential care. Desirable
- Knowledge of Children's home regulations 2015 (England). Desirable
- Knowledge of how to support children who have experienced trauma, harm or abuse. Desirable
- Previous childcare experience, preferably in a residential setting. Desirable
- Experience of working with children with disabilities, complex high-risk adolescents or related experience e.g. adults with disabilities. Desirable
Rewards and benefits
For a full list of the benefits offered to you as a West Sussex County Council employee you can find them on our Rewards and Benefits page.
How to Apply
To apply, upload your CV and cover letter, explaining the skills and experience you can bring to the role, ensuring that any gaps in employment are covered in your CV. Please ensure you have saved the job description attached to the main advert on our website as, once the job has closed, you may not have the opportunity to download again.
*please state in your cover letter your location preference or Home preference.*
We are committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults.
This post is subject to an enhanced DBS check, 5 years referencing and an occupational health check.
West Sussex County Council is an equal opportunities employer committed to promoting an environment that is inclusive and free from all forms of unlawful or unfair discrimination and values the diversity of its people. We actively welcome applications from people of all backgrounds and take every possible step to ensure that no individual will be disadvantaged.
For information regarding your eligibility to apply for this role under our Disability or Veteran's Guaranteed Interview Scheme, this can be found on our application help page.
Note for Recruitment Agencies: We prefer to hire people directly, but we do have a supplier list for when we need a helping hand. We'll be in touch directly if we need you!