1 Year Fixed Term
Part Time - 29.6hrs
RG5, scp 22-28
£27,041 - £32,234 pro rata
It’s an exciting time for our HR service. Over the last year we’ve taken great strides to modernise our HR team and traded services to schools. Our continuing service development means that we’ve created a new HR Advisor post – and that means we’re looking for someone amazing to join our small schools’ team.
About the role
The HR Advisor is part of a proactive and efficient HR professional team reporting to the Schools HR Manager providing a comprehensive and quality traded HR service to currently around 30 schools within the borough and support the delivery of HR interventions linked to the schools’ HR priorities. Building on this positive foundation this role will take primary responsibility for developing and maintaining these relationships, and providing a great HR consultancy service, alongside the Senior HR Advisor. You will be required to work closely with Headteachers, Senior Leaders, Governors and other key stakeholders.
Key areas of responsibility include:
- To provide employment law and HR advice to schools on a wide range of HR issues including grievances, disputes, restructures, redundancy and disciplinary hearings
- Provide advice on employment policy and practice in connection with organisational change, performance and ill health management.
- Delivery of the traded service to schools and continuously looking for innovative ways to improve the service
- Assist in the development and maintenance of positive relationships between schools and HR and OD Team
We are a small school’s team, so it’s important that you’re a team player, adaptable and flexible in your approach. You’ll need to be an experienced HR professional, and a natural relationship builder. Experience of schools HR issues will be beneficial but not essential, and an understanding of HR issues within the education space will really help you get up and running.
- CIPD qualified (Level 5 Diploma in HR Management) or equivalent qualification at HR Advisor level, or have work experience demonstrating a similar level of attainment
- Associate Member of Chartered Institute of Personnel and Development (CIPD) and evidence of Continuing Professional Development
We offer a supportive environment to grow and develop your career with the opportunity to put your ideas across. Innovation and ambition is strongly encouraged, and you’ll get a great feel for that working in our friendly and collaborative environment.
A competitive salary alongside a range of benefits including:
- Generous holiday entitlement - 24 days holiday each year plus bank holidays - rising to 32 days after 10 years' service, with the option to buy additional leave
- A wide range of flexible working opportunities
- Modern working environment at the Civic Offices in the heart of Reading
Local Government Pension Scheme (LGPS)
- On-site day nursery (Kennet Day nursery) rated outstanding by Ofsted, and a salary sacrifice scheme to help lower the cost of your nursery fees
- Season Ticket Loan - to help with the cost of your rail/ bus journey, to & from work
- Lease car salary sacrifice scheme allowing you to lease a brand new, greener car for three years. The monthly fee includes insurance, servicing and road tax
For more information on this position please contact Stephen.firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing Date: 16th May
Interview Date: w/c 17th May
Please note that the closing date is given as a guide. We reserve the right to close this vacancy once a sufficient number of applications has been received. Therefore, it is strongly advised that you complete and return your application as soon as possible to avoid disappointment.
Reading Borough Council is a Disability Confident Employer and is committed to the recruitment and continued employment of people with disabilities.