About The Job
Salary: £20,092 - £20,493 per annum (pro-rata £13,662 - £13,935)
Working Pattern: 25.16 hours per week (part-time)
Location: Orchard House, Haywards Heath
Interview Date: TBC (interviews will take place via MS Teams, Skype or equivalent)
As a Cook for our Residential Home, you will prepare and cook nutritionally balanced meals for the children. You will have the opportunity to design menus with the Assistant Manager and provide training to children in how to plan and cook meals.
You will also be responsible for:
- Health and Safety
- Food Hygiene procedures
- Monitoring risk
- Ensure the kitchen is maintained to a high standard
- Ordering goods within a specified budget
- Keeping accurate records and stock control
- Coordinate agency Cooks and Kitchen Assistants if required
We are looking for someone who is aware of safeguarding procedures, as you will need to remain up to date with compliance, legislation, polices, procedures, and professional codes of conduct.
A shift pattern will be agreed with the successful applicant.
Experience and Skills
- Ability to communicate in English with the children, staff and visitors to the Homes, to understand and be sensitive to the needs of the children and to adapt to unexpected changes in requirements.
- Ability to prepare food of a varied nature to a high standard.
- Ability to use IT to write emails, access information about the home, complete electronic logs etc.
- Ability to follow defined instructions in particular to understand and apply Health and Safety and safeguarding regulations and procedures.
- Ability to organise/prioritise work, co-ordinate a variety of tasks in a clear and logical way and meet agreed deadlines.
- Ability to work flexibly to allocated duties and as part of a team within the home to put the child first.
Qualifications and/or experience:
- Knowledge of effective cooking techniques and healthy, nutritious recipes, including cooking for a range of dietary requirements.
- Cooking experience, including preparing, cooking, and serving meals for groups of people.
- Knowledge of ordering, costing, and stock control.
- Recognised Food Handling and Hygiene qualification, Basic Food Hygiene certificate
- 3 GCSEs with A-C (5-9) passes including Maths and English or equivalent qualification or demonstrable equivalent experience.
- NVQ Level 2 in catering or equivalent qualification or demonstrable equivalent experience. Desirable
Rewards and Benefits
For a full list of the benefits offered to you as a West Sussex County Council employee you can find them on our Rewards and Benefits page.
In accordance with the vaccine priorities, all our residential staff have the opportunity to take up a Covid vaccine and we are fully supportive of the ongoing NHS plans to roll out the vaccine to all Health and Social Care staff across West Sussex.
The successful candidate will be required to work in the Children's Home during the COVID-19 pandemic. The safety of our employees is of upmost importance to us, and candidates that are successful at interview will be subject to a pre-employment risk assessment, where risks related to COVID-19 will be discussed and where possible suitably mitigated. The Government and Public Health England have advised that some individuals are at a higher risk than others, and for this reason and in line with national guidance available at the time, the risk assessment will need to take into consideration your health, and relevant protected characteristics, and health of your households. Appointments to this role will be subject to a collaboratively completed risk assessment and mutual agreement that risks to you and your household have been suitably mitigated.
The reference number for this role is CAFHE03032.
How to Apply
To apply, upload your CV and cover letter explaining the skills and experience you can bring to the role ensuring that any gaps in employment are covered in your CV. Please ensure you have saved the job description attached to the main advert on our website as, once the job has closed, you may not have the opportunity to download again.
We are committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults.
This post is subject to an enhanced DBS check, 5 years referencing and an occupational health check.
West Sussex County Council is an equal opportunities employer committed to promoting an environment that is inclusive and free from all forms of unlawful or unfair discrimination and values the diversity of its people. We actively welcome applications from people of all backgrounds and take every possible step to ensure that no individual will be disadvantaged.
For information regarding your eligibility to apply for this role under our Disability or Veteran's Guaranteed Interview Scheme, this can be found on our application help page.