West Sussex County Council is on a journey to improve its services by working closely with residents and partners. We are looking for a passionate, organised, thoughtful and determined individual to support the newly formed Adults and Health leadership team on this journey. You will be part of a team that shapes and delivers a significant programme of our work that will achieve the best possible outcomes for our residents through services that are user-focused and efficient.
The work will include leading specific business process reviews within Adults and Health on behalf of the Executive Director to ensure the most effective and efficient operation of the service. Working across the directorate your role will touch on all aspects of service delivery helping us to deliver a positive experience for users of our services making sure:
- The right services are delivered in the right place at the right time
- The experience of users of our services is understood and reflected in changes to our practice
- Adult Services are able to operate efficiently and effectively within the context of the wider organisation
For more information, please visit our dedicated Adult Service page to learn more about us.
About The Job
Salary: £51,764- £54,823
Working Pattern: Full-time (37 hours per week)
Contract Length: 12 months
Location: County Hall, Chichester with flexible working
Interview Date: 19 May 2021 (Microsoft Teams)
You will need to demonstrate a keen appetite for improving how we do things. You'll be able to employ strong cross directorate and cross council skills to influence, push and support others to contribute and deliver. You will be able to prioritise across high priority tasks, bring working groups together to make decisions and identifying the areas most in need of attention. You will be a good strategic thinker and articulate communicator, and able to build relationships with senior leaders, peers and users of adult social care and health services.
You will be supporting the leadership team to ensure the directorate has the tools, data and support it needs and will work across the department to coordinate and lead a diverse team of business support staff that are dispersed across a number of sites. You will have strong engagement and coordination skills and will work very closely with the Executive Director of Adults and Health and senior leadership team, liaise with others across the organisation, and with partners.
Experience and Skills
- The ability to work independently making well-reasoned and evidenced problem-solving decisions and to use own judgement to identify, define and analyse alternative courses of action, thinking creatively to deliver innovative solutions to complex issues.
- The ability to contribute to the leadership of the directorate working in partnership with other leaders, business support staff to formulate the direction of business support activities.
- Being able to develop solutions, using effective research and planning skills, to specific problems of a programme, prioritisation, resource or performance related nature using significant professional judgement and evaluative skills to make effective decisions where 'right' and 'wrong' answers are not available.
- Exceptional, highly developed communication skills to influence and persuade the actions of others in order to construct, evaluate and deliver effective business solutions. Strong partnership working skills with the ability to develop and manage highly effective relationships and co-ordinate a range of partners and stakeholders both internally and externally to successfully deliver objectives.
- Ability to recognise where change is needed and to challenge existing practices, processes and activities and identify and deliver effective solutions which promote change.
- Exceptional people and performance management skills with the ability to lead and inspire, providing direction and support to individuals and teams.
Qualifications and/or experience:
- Post graduate professional qualification relevant to the professional service specialism; or equivalent level of significant experience demonstrating comprehensive application of the above levels of knowledge in a relevant setting.
- Membership of a relevant professional body or equivalent high-level experience relevant to the role.
- Evidence of ongoing professional development relevant to the role.
- Evidence of strategic leadership including the ability to communicate a compelling vision to all stakeholders to achieve collaboration and improve outcomes.
- Evidence of working with partners through influencing and negotiating to develop system changing, innovative ways of working.
- Evidence of co-designing, developing and implementing, successful transformational change projects that have delivered improved outcomes.
- Knowledge and experience of leadership processes, planning and performance and risk management.
- Experience of working closely with third parties.
- Experience of delivering an exceptional service to others through the leadership of a service.
- Experience of developing policies and approaches to business which achieve corporate objectives.
- Experience of managing works and projects within a political environment.
- Experience of effectively managing a budget and contributing to decision making on high level spending.
The reference number for this role is CAFHE03118.
For an informal conversation or for further information regarding the role, please contact Claire Sheen - Executive Assistant to Keith Hinkley, Executive Director of Adults & Health (DASS) @ . For issues or queries regarding your application please contact .
Note for Recruitment Agencies: We prefer to hire people directly, but we do have a supplier list for when we need a helping hand. We'll be in touch directly if we need you!