Capital Schemes Project Manager (Highways)
Transport, Drainage and Compliance, Infrastructure and Delivery
Wokingham Borough Council
Salary: Grade 10 - £44,863 - £49,865p.a. plus relocation package
Full Time Permanent
Wokingham Borough Council (WBC)
Following a major restructure Wokingham Borough Council (WBC) is positioned to drive forward a significant infrastructure delivery programme utilising in-house resource.
This includes multi million-pound schemes, incorporating three relief roads, two distributor roads, along with several crossings of the railway network and strategic road network.
It is also crucial that the Capital Scheme programme, with a projected spend of £100 million over the next 10 years, is fully identified and progressed.
WBC has created an in-house design and delivery team to provide cost effective innovative solutions. The majority of projects are considered highway and drainage infrastructure or non-motorised green routes.
The role is extraordinarily diverse with the individual required to act in a Principal Designer capacity on some projects and Client on others. This provides exposure to most elements of the project cycle from holistic design to contract admin and site project management.
You will have ICE chartered colleagues to assist in the technical and NEC Supervisors to support you throughout construction.
There are also rewarding opportunities to assist junior members of the team get Chartered. We’re also keen to support additional accreditation goals you may have that benefit the organisation.
In this senior position, you will play a key role in ensuring the efficient delivery of Capital projects. Creative freedom is also provided to propose and trial opportunities to improve the borough through a monthly innovation meeting.
As the successful applicant, you will have a background in civil engineering, specifically infrastructure design and a proven track record in project management.
- Ability to comply with all CDM Regulation duties.
- Chartership with the Institute of Civil Engineers (ICE) or the ability to demonstrate you’re eligible via academic qualifications and / or experience.
- Infrastructure design experience. The candidate must demonstrate an ability to design highway and drainage infrastructure from concept to construction. To both DMRB and Manual for Streets (MfS).
- Modelling capabilities. WBC is relatively flexible in terms of which software package but the candidate must be able to design in 3D highway infrastructure and drainage networks. The team currently uses PDS (Causeway), AutoCAD, Civils 3D (Autodesk) and MicroDrainage.
- Project management experience. As a minimum a working knowledge of NEC contract options A – D inclusive and the professional services contract is required.
Desirable knowledge / experience
- Service diversion process (C2 – C9).
- Traffic Management procedures
- Basic arboricultural and ecological requirements in terms of survey requirements for legislative compliance.
- Environmental Agency
- Natural England
- Bill of Quantities and take-off knowledge
We are committed to working collaboratively and endorse a style of management in which you can thrive and succeed. You will find this is a fantastic place to work and to develop your career.
You will enjoy the friendly open and supportive culture, as well as benefit from family friendly policies including flexible hours, generous leave entitlement, as well as the ability to work from home on a regular basis. If you relish the chance to be part of an outcome-focused team where plans quickly become realised, then Wokingham is the place for you.
Closing Date 11.00pm 25/06/2021
For an informal discussion, please contact Malcolm Pinto: Malcolm.firstname.lastname@example.org
Wokingham Borough Council is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and vulnerable adults and expects all staff, other workers and volunteers to share this commitment.
Wokingham is an equal opportunities employer.