The County Council approved a Climate Change Strategy in July 2020, which is aligned with our ambitious target to be carbon neutral by 2030.
In February 2021 Council approved the Our Council Plan 2021 - 25 setting out its priorities and underpinned by responding to the challenges of climate change.
Based within the highly regarded Environment and Public Protection Directorate this role has a truly corporate and county-wide reach and impact.
For more information about West Sussex County Council, please visit our WSCC About Us page.
About The Job
Salary: £58,700 - £62,495 per annum
Working Pattern: Full time, 37 hours per week
Contract Length: Fixed term, 24 months
Location: County Hall, Chichester but, by agreement, flexible working policies and IT will support remote working where this does not compromise the effectiveness of the role.
Interview Date: 01 and 02 July 2021
As the Strategic Manager, you will provide strategic leadership and direction for the West Sussex County Council's response to the climate challenge and to achieve the ambition of achieving carbon neutrality by 2030, developing and delivering the Council's Climate Change Strategy and other environmental challenges in the context of the Council's Reset Plan and national legislation.
You will be a strong corporate player, able to develop shared approaches with colleagues across the Council and beyond and enable joined-up planning and shared values and objectives. You will be an enabler, with the ability to manage a wide range of complex issues and agendas at the same time and drive change through influence and diplomacy. You will have the ability to lead, develop and motivate staff and teams to effect change, deliver improvement and achieve desired outcomes.
Experience and Skills
- The ability to lead, develop and motivate staff and teams to effect change and deliver improvement and achieve desired outcomes.
- Excellent judgement and analysis with the ability to broker solutions to complex problems.
- Political awareness and good political judgement, with an ability to gain the confidence of Members, senior managers, partner organisations, unions, colleagues and employees.
- Ability to work collaboratively with stakeholders, obtaining the trust of a wide range of individuals and organisations, working as part of multi-function teams.
- Excellent communication and negotiating skills with the ability to present complex issues in a simple and easy to understand way for internal and external audiences, including providing timely, accurate and correct advice, written and verbal, for Members, Executive Leadership Team, Directors and Officers to develop and articulate the strategic direction for the organisation.
- Ability to manage conflicting demands, at pace, to tight timescales.
Qualifications and/or experience:
- First Degree in a relevant subject or be able to demonstrate equivalent knowledge, skills and aptitude. Postgraduate qualification in a relevant subject (this is essential if first degree is in an unrelated field).
- Relevant professional qualification and membership of a relevant professionalbody.
- Evidence of continuous professional development.
- Experience of senior management in a large, diverse and complex organisation, leading, motivating, managing and developing a professional function and teams to achieve desired outcomes.
- Experience in the formulation of policy, analysis, advice and implementation to senior managers, partners and, ideally, elected members. Demonstrable experience of engagement with high profile stakeholders in a political environment, including politicians and unions, as well as external cross-sector stakeholders.
- Demonstrable experience of managing and delivering major change projects and programmes that delivered service improvement, increased efficiencies and cultural change in an organisation of comparable scale.
- Significant experience of leading sustainable development, economic, social and environmental wellbeing at a strategic/senior management level and in advising at Committee/Cabinet/Board level, with an understanding at a scientific level of the causes, impacts and potential mitigatory measures of climate change.
- Understanding and knowledge of relevant sustainable development, economic, social, and environmental wellbeing legislation, regulations and policies.
- Track record of identifying opportunities and initiating new ideas, taking advantage of legislation and financial opportunities to maximize resources. Experience of successfully managing budgets of a comparable scope and scale.
- A successful track record of working with partners to negotiate, agree and influence outcomes to help further corporate objectives.
- Knowledge and understanding of large and complex public service organisations with an awareness and understanding of local government operations and how County Council services interface with key public service partners e.g. Police, Health.
The reference number for this role is EIE00817 .
For issues or queries regarding your application please contact .
To apply, upload your CV and complete the application explaining the skills and experience you can bring to the role ensuring that any gaps in employment are covered in your CV. Please ensure you have saved the job description attached to the main advert on our website as, once the job has closed, you may not have the opportunity to download again.