West Sussex County Council are seeking an experienced Head of Programme Management Office to proactively support and challenge programme sponsors and managers to drive forward our ambitions annual Adult Services Business Plan.
This post is focused on developing and managing a new, high impact Programme Management Office. This function delivers projects and programmes aligned to directorate requirements providing internal capability and experience in delivering improvement and sustainable change.
About The Job
Salary: Hay E £65,460 to £71,467
Working Pattern: Full time, 37 hours
Contract Length: Permanent
Location: Chichester (Flexible from home)
You will be accountable for all the PMO team activities including programme monitoring and scrutiny, establishing and maintaining robust programme management processes (including reporting), supporting key governance forums, facilitating the resolution of strategic issues and interdependencies and providing flexible targeted delivery support to programme and project sponsors to facilitate delivery of their plans.
You will bring inspirational leadership, operating at the highest level of proficiency in the service specialism, leading and managing the shape of the service with an awareness of the 'bigger picture' including creating policies and approaches which have a positive impact.
You will be driven, energetic and articulate, able to engage, challenge and collaborate with all stakeholders, with experience of successfully managing a wide range of high value complex programmes in a dynamic environment.
If you have the above skills and experience, then we want to hear from you.
Experience and Skills
- Ability to think strategically and translate objectives into delivery plans.
- Strong leadership skills with a track record of leading teams, delivering complex, demanding programmes and projects.
- Able to work collaboratively across a directorate and organisation, building strong relationships.
- Exceptional, highly developed communication skills to influence and persuade the actions of others in order to construct, evaluate and deliver effective business solutions.
Qualifications and/or experience:
- Educated to a master's degree level, equivalent level qualification or significant relevant experience.
- Prince 2 Practitioner, Management of Successful Programme qualification with proven experience demonstrating comprehensive application.
- Comprehensive operational and strategic experience appropriate to the business and the organisation.
- Considerable experience of building, managing, and leading a business function to deliver an exceptional service to others.
- Experience of developing policies and approaches to business, which achieve corporate objectives.
- Experience in the application of service improvement methodologies.
- Experience of managing / leading staff.
- Experience of effectively managing a budget and contributing to decision making on high level spending.
- Excellent political awareness and experience of working within a political environment.
- Strong understanding of local government, including the political, strategic, and operational environment in which it operates.
Rewards and Benefits
In addition to working within a great team and a competitive salary you will have access to:
- 29 days annual leave + bank holidays with the ability to buy additional leave annually.
- Access to a generous, defined benefit pension scheme.
- A range of flexible working options.
For a full list of the benefits offered to you as a West Sussex County Council employee you can find them on our Rewards and Benefits page.
The reference number for this role is CAFHE03172 .
For an informal conversation or for further information regarding the role, please contact Julie Philips, Assistant Director (Safeguarding, Planning, Performance) on 07936 339284 .
For issues or queries regarding your application please contact .
To apply, upload your CV and complete the application explaining the skills and experience you can bring to the role ensuring that any gaps in employment are covered in your CV. Please ensure you have saved the job description attached to the main advert on our website as, once the job has closed, you may not have the opportunity to download again.
We are committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults. This post is subject to an enhanced DBS check, 5 years referencing and a health check.
West Sussex County Council is an equal opportunities employer committed to promoting an environment that is inclusive and free from all forms of unlawful or unfair discrimination and values the diversity of its people. We actively welcome applications from people of all backgrounds and take every possible step to ensure that no individual will be disadvantaged.
For information regarding your eligibility to apply for this role under our Disability or Veteran's Guaranteed Interview Scheme, this can be found on our application help page.
Note for Recruitment Agencies: We prefer to hire people directly, but we do have a supplier list for when we need a helping hand. We'll be in touch directly if we need you!