This is an exciting time for Lancaster City Museums. After being closed for over a year we are getting ready to open our doors again and we are currently recruiting for a Museum Assistant in the Cottage Museum in Lancaster. This is an interesting role in a friendly environment, and we are looking for candidates with a strong dedication to delivering exceptional customer care and teamwork.
Some of the duties of this role include:
- Engaging with visitors to ensure that the museum is a welcoming and enjoyable place to visit
- Supporting all museum operations and activities to ensure visitors gain the best possible experience of their visit to the museum
- Working within the reception, shop, and other public areas
- Ensuring the security of the museum, collections, staff & visitors
- Cleaning exhibits and public areas
- Supporting the care of the collections and site security as part of the museum team
The hours of work for this position are 16 hours per week, working Wednesday to Saturday, 12:40pm to 4:20pm. This post is temporary until 30 September 2021.These hours may vary and may include working evenings, weekends and bank holidays.
The Council currently operates an excellent Flexible Working Hours Scheme which applies to this post. Subject to the needs of this business, this may allow employees to work between the hours of 6:00am-10:30pm.
For internal applicants, this role can be a secondment opportunity. When these roles come to an end, any successful internal applicants will return to their substantive roles. The secondment of an employee from another Service can only take place with the agreement of the Manager of the Service the applicant is contracted to.
Lancaster City Council has unanimously declared a climate emergency and will therefore work towards reducing carbon emissions to net-zero by 2030. As part of this role, you will be expected to participate and work towards reducing carbon emissions.
We are a Forces Friendly employer, and an Armed Forces Covenant committed organisation. We welcome applications from defence reserves and other members of our armed forces community.
Excellent benefits include: A Local Government Pension Scheme (the Council makes a 15.5% contribution). Discounted gym membership and discount on days out, activities and retail.
Closing date: Thursday, 24 June 2021
Interview date: TBC