The starting salary for this position is £53,018 per annum, based on a 36 hour working week. This role is offered as a 12 month fixed-term contract
Surrey County Council is currently going through a period of significant change. We want to deliver on our ambition to ensure the most positive outcomes for our residents but must do so in the context of increasing demand and the need to deliver value for money. This means we need to rethink and reassess what we do and how we do it.
To achieve this ambition, we have initiated a number of large scale and complex programmes that form our Transformation portfolio. These programmes sit across all service areas, ranging from ensuring that we deliver on our green ambitions, to improving opportunities for children with special educational needs and disabilities. These programmes are in various stages of maturity, but they all share the design ambition to have clearly articulated benefits and outcomes.
We are therefore looking for a capable and enthusiastic Benefits Manager to help us ensure that our transformation programmes are evidencing the positive change that they are expected to deliver.
The Benefits Manager will be responsible for:
- Promoting and overseeing the benefits management process at SCC
- Working closely with programme managers to articulate and track their benefits
- Designing an effective system for visualising and aggregating programme benefits
- Working closely with the Transformation Support Unit to act as a ‘critical friend’ to programmes, providing challenge and encouragement for them to deliver successful change
- Working closely with the Finance team to identify financial benefits that can be aggregated into our medium-term financial plan
To achieve this we are looking for someone with the following skills and experience:
- Knowledge of performance management best practice, including development of KPIs and data analysis - drawing insightful and evidence-based conclusions from multiple sources
- Experience of designing, articulating and tracking benefits across multiple programmes
- A professional project management qualification, or ability to evidence knowledge and understanding of appropriate project management methodology and a proven ability to manage a range of projects through to completion
- Strong organisational and business change skills - to ensure high quality governance, planning, reporting and financial monitoring arrangements are in place
- Proven problem-solving skills, and the ability to exercise high levels of initiative to devise and implement workable solutions
- Proven written and oral communication and interpersonal skills with good negotiation and influencing skills and the ability to work collaboratively with internal and external partners/professionals
- Ability to think strategically and see the bigger picture, recognising how a portfolio of programmes can contribute to a strategic objective
- Experience of working within a political setting
You may be an experienced Benefits Manager or perhaps you are a project management professional looking for your next challenge. Either way, if you have the transferrable skills to perform this role then we want to hear from you!
At Surrey, our values and behaviours are just as important as our skills and abilities. They shape who we are as an organisation. Find out more about the values we follow.
For more information please find the full job description below and refer to this before submitting your application. We also invite you to read our Life at Surrey handbook to see insights of the culture at Surrey and how as a valued employee, you can help shape our Council.
The job advert closes at 23:59 on 25/07/2021 with interviews to follow.
For an informal discussion regarding the role, please contact Adrian Stockbridge via email at email@example.com
We look forward to receiving your application, please click on the apply online button below to submit.
From flexible working to job sharing we are committed to providing a healthy work life balance. A laptop and mobile will be supplied if applicable to your role. You will benefit from 26 days annual leave, rising to 28 days after 2 years' service, a generous local government salary related pension, as well as the option to join our car lease scheme. For more information about the wide variety of benefits you can take advantage of please visit MyBenefits for Surrey County Council staff.
Surrey County Council is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment. We want to be an inclusive and diverse employer of first choice reflecting the community we serve and particularly welcome applications from all under represented groups.