A new challenge.
Are you ready to embrace a challenging new opportunity in an organisation that has a relentless ambition to always improve? With great schools, excellent facilities and a fantastic location, Wokingham’s proud to offer an exceptional quality of life.
This is a new opportunity for a motivated, enthusiastic and experienced insurance professional to play a central role in providing an efficient, effective and comprehensive insurance service across every area of the council’s and its trading companies’ operations.
The Insurance Service acts as ‘internal broker’, insurance and risk advisor, claims handler, purchaser of insurance, and underwriting support for the council. It touches upon every aspect of the council’s operations – from Children’s Services to Highways to Adult Social Care to town centre regeneration and beyond – providing reassurance and financial protection in the event of damage to property or a claim against the council.
What you’ll be doing.
- Working in partnership with the council’s insurers, you will administer all Casualty claims made against the council, working closely and collaboratively with internal stakeholders, external contractors, loss adjusters, solicitors.
- There will be an emphasis on bringing new ideas and driving significant improvements – even starting afresh – in Highways claims, working in partnership with our Highways & Transport Team, contractors and insurers.
- You will handle other claims, including below-deductible property claims on our c.£1bn portfolio.
- Provide sound insurance and risk advice to internal customers.
- Provide support for the council’s programmes for purchasing and renewing cover, including full tenders.
- Administration of the leaseholders’ residential property scheme, maintenance of the motor fleet schedule, administration of engineering inspections, and leading on insurance-specific Freedom of Information Act enquiries.
- You will be involved in, and can have significant input in to, every aspect of the Insurance Service’s operations and in meeting its service goals – and the right candidate will have extensive freedom to make the role their own.
What you’ll need.
- You will have substantial insurance knowledge and claims experience, covering all classes of general insurance, with a particular focus on Casualty and Property in the public sector.
- You’ll be enthusiastic, highly motivated and an effective team-player with a desire to take responsibility straight away.
- You will be people-focused, with excellent interpersonal and customer service skills who communicates clearly and effectively with excellent written and spoken English.
- Excellent at relationship-building, negotiating and persuading.
- You’ll have exceptional prioritisation skills, strong attention to detail and an excellent level of initiative.
- You will, at times, need tenacity, resilience and a sense of humour.
What we offer.
- Generous annual leave allowance.
- Flexible working.
- Enhanced Local Government Pension Scheme.
- Employee Assistance Programme.
We strive to achieve a culture of equality in all that we do both internally and externally across the Borough and promote a culture of respect, dignity and inclusivity where everyone can succeed, have the right opportunities and be rewarded for the work they do.
We are an employer that supports flexible working practices.
Wokingham Borough Council is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and vulnerable adults and expects all staff, other workers and volunteers to share this commitment.
Wokingham is an equal opportunities employer.
To apply, please follow the link to the online application form. CVs are not accepted.
Closing date: 11pm, 9th October 2021.
Interview dates: 27th to 29th October.
For an informal discussion, please contact Dan Skinner, Finance Specialist, on 07701 293886 or email email@example.com