Principal Regeneration Lawyer
2-year Fixed Term Contract
Full time 37 hours
£54,878 - £58,973
Legal Services ensure that all Council services and councillors benefit from expert legal advice and representation. We also make sure the council’s decision-making process complies with the law and the Council’s constitution.
About the role
This is a new role in the Legal Services team to provide advice to Members and Officers on high-profile regeneration projects, ensuring the Council’s best interests are achieved within the law. The post will contribute to the successful achievement of the Council’s town centre regeneration projects strategies and policies. You will have significant exposure to senior councillors and officers.
Main duties and responsibilities
- Ensure that appropriate, high quality legal services are provided to the Council, directly and through oversight of external lawyers
- Co-ordinate comprehensive legal response with external lawyers, commercial agents and consultants.
- Work with Project and Service managers, Assistant Directors, Executive Directors, and other lead officers and councillors on high-profile regeneration projects of significant importance to the Council
- Lead co-ordination across the Principal Solicitors in Legal Services to ensure that a co-ordinated response is provided to all regeneration projects.
- Monitor the performance of the Legal Team in accordance with project objectives
- Develop the existing services of the Council in line with the Team Reading corporate values and identify innovative ways of improving service provision and user satisfaction.
The following experience is required for this role:
- Admitted Solicitor, Barrister or Chartered Fellow of the Institute of Legal Executive with at least 10 years’ post qualification experience
- Good working knowledge and experience of property law, planning law and procurement law with an expertise in at least one of those disciplines in relation to regeneration projects
- Able to inspire confidence and to influence and motivate others, including officers at a senior level in the organisation and leading councillors
- Handle a complex workload of politically sensitive and high value transactions
- Commercially minded and to give clear, good quality and concise advice verbally or in writing in a manner which is easily understood by the client and senior councillors
- Effectively complete complex matters including the drafting of documents, presenting at project meetings, instructing counsel and advising/negotiating on points of detail
We offer a supportive environment to grow and develop your career with the opportunity to put your ideas across. Innovation and ambition is strongly encouraged, and you’ll get a great feel for that working in our friendly and collaborative environment.
A competitive salary alongside a range of benefits including:
- Generous holiday entitlement - 24 days holiday each year plus bank holidays - rising to 32 days after 10 years' service, with the option to buy additional leave
- A wide range of flexible working opportunities
- Modern working environment at the Civic Offices in the heart of Reading
Local Government Pension Scheme (LGPS)
- On-site day nursery (Kennet Day nursery) rated outstanding by Ofsted, and a salary sacrifice scheme to help lower the cost of your nursery fees
- Season Ticket Loan - to help with the cost of your rail/ bus journey, to & from work
- Lease car salary sacrifice scheme allowing you to lease a brand new, greener car for three years. The monthly fee includes insurance, servicing and road tax
For more information on this position please contact Stephen.firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing Date: 10th October
Interview Date: tbc
Please note that the closing date is given as a guide. We reserve the right to close this vacancy once a sufficient number of applications has been received. Therefore, it is strongly advised that you complete and return your application as soon as possible to avoid disappointment.
Reading Borough Council is a Disability Confident Employer and is committed to the recruitment and continued employment of people with disabilities. We seek the best talent from the widest pool of people as diversity is the key to our success.