Debt Advice Officer
Full time 37 hours
RG4b (SCP 11 –17)
£21,748 – £24,491
We are a friendly Debt Advice Team working within Tenant Services. We provide debt advice to council tenants and any resident of Reading who is at risk of homelessness to explore ways they can increase income, reduce outgoings and review debt options to prevent homelessness.
About the role
We require an enthusiastic and motivated individual to join the Debt Advice Team. You would be required to:
- Provide general debt advice completing appointments and casework to prepare a financial statement, including reviewing income/outgoings and providing relevant advice and support to explore their debt options.
- Provide general benefit advice regarding entitlement, application and maintaining claims.
- Assist in the administration of Discretionary Housing Payments and Discretionary Council Tax Support Payments.
- Empower, encourage and support service users to improve their situation.
- Promote financial and digital inclusion to service users.
- Providing quality debt advice to service users on all aspects of managing their personal budget, including debt and benefit advice.
- Assist service users to complete applications for Discretionary Housing Payments and Discretionary Council Tax Support Payments.
- Review, assess and manage Discretionary Payment applications.
- Maintain the Debt Advice Services database.
- Make accurate records of actions taken and financial awards made.
- Assist service users to get online and make and maintain claims for benefits.
The following experience is required for this role:
- Good general level of education. GCSE or equivalent in English and Maths
- Good customer service skills with experience of giving help and advice to the public with a need for confidentiality.
- Proven record of working on own initiative, using own judgement to research and solve problems relating to completion of personal and teamwork plans.
- Able to manage own workload and to maintain a balanced workload, having regard for completing demands in an often highly pressurised environment.
- Able to assimilate information quickly, assess situations and make recommendations.
We offer a supportive environment to grow and develop your career with the opportunity to put your ideas across. Innovation and ambition is strongly encouraged, and you’ll get a great feel for that working in our friendly and collaborative environment.
A competitive salary alongside a range of benefits including:
- Generous holiday entitlement - 24 days holiday each year plus bank holidays - rising to 32 days after 10 years' service, with the option to buy additional leave
- A wide range of flexible working opportunities
- Modern working environment at the Civic Offices in the heart of Reading
Local Government Pension Scheme (LGPS)
- On-site day nursery (Kennet Day nursery) rated outstanding by Ofsted, and a salary sacrifice scheme to help lower the cost of your nursery fees
- Season Ticket Loan - to help with the cost of your rail/ bus journey, to & from work
- Lease car salary sacrifice scheme allowing you to lease a brand new, greener car for three years. The monthly fee includes insurance, servicing and road tax
For more information on this position please contact Stephen.email@example.com
Closing Date: 27th September
Interview Date: TBC
Please note that the closing date is given as a guide. We reserve the right to close this vacancy once a sufficient number of applications has been received. Therefore, it is strongly advised that you complete and return your application as soon as possible to avoid disappointment.
Reading Borough Council is a Disability Confident Employer and is committed to the recruitment and continued employment of people with disabilities. We seek the best talent from the widest pool of people as diversity is the key to our success