Hillingdon Council: Putting our Residents first.
About the role
This is a part-time role of 18 hours per week, working days will be Wednesday to Friday.
Please note, the salary advertised is pro-rata.
We are recruiting a Portage Service Coordinator to work within our Child and Family Development Service.
As part of the wider Council offer for children with complex needs, our Portage Service provides a high quality, effective education support service for children and their families. As the service Coordinator, you will develop and maintain an end-to-end process for the service from referral, through case management and finally, exit processes.
You will work with other professionals from Health, Social Care and SEND, and in partnership with the Council's Children's Centres, to ensure Portage principles are applied and children receive the integrated support they require.
You will also contribute to the monitoring of the quality of service through shadowing and reflective supervision with Portage Workers, as part of a performance management system to ensure that children's progress is encouraged and families are appropriately supported.
You will be an experienced Portage Service Coordinator or a knowledgeable, motivated Portage Home Visitor, ready to take the next step in your career. You must be able to demonstrate a knowledge of:
- the principles of Portage and their application for children with complex needs
- safeguarding and child protection policy and practice
- the educational, developmental and health needs of children under five
- early support interventions used for children, young people and families
Alongside a relevant qualification in Early Years education and care, or equivalent, you will have received accredited training with the National Portage Association.
An understanding of the support needs of families and parents of children with complex needs, is vital to this role. You should also be able to demonstrate an understanding of the relevant policy, legislation and theory in relation to SEND.
You will need a positive and proactive approach to work and you will be expected to provide positive and effective leadership to the team, be able to handle complex and sensitive matters and be effective at managing change.
You will have experience of coordinating services and working with other professionals.
You will also be a competent ICT user, with experience of using management information systems and databases, with an ability to interpret data and prepare reports for presentation to senior managers and partners.
We offer a range of Company benefits. These vary according to the business area and role but may include:
- local government average salary pension scheme
- free parking (4 days a week) if based at the Civic Centre
- a 36-hour week for all full-time staff
- generous holiday entitlement: a minimum 25 days a year (plus bank holidays), rising to 28 days after five years' service. For more senior positions holiday entitlements can rise to a maximum of 36 days
- career breaks
- flexible working hours
- season ticket loan
- access to a Credit Union
- access to a wide range of training and courses
- discount on a variety of Adult Education courses run by the Council
- payment of professional fees where these are required
- discounts at council-owned leisure centres and swimming pools at Hillingdon (Uxbridge), Queensmead (South Ruislip), Highgrove (Ruislip) and Botwell Green (Hayes)
- cycle purchase scheme
- car sharing scheme
- 30% discount on green fees at council-owned golf courses
Our Children's Centres provide services to a diverse range of people. We welcome applications from men and those from Black, Asian or other ethnic backgrounds.
The closing date for applications is Friday 24 September. Interviews are scheduled for Thursday 7 October, however this may be subject to change depending on business need.
We are committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults. Applicants should be aware that the post will only be offered to successful candidates subject to an Enhanced DBS check as well as other employment clearances.
If you would like to find out more about the role, please contact Philip Ryan on 01895 277193 or