We have a opportunity for full time Grounds person working within our parks, open spaces and highways.
You will need a degree of physical fitness and an aptitude for working outdoors, along with an interest in grounds maintenance and a desire to learn on the job. Some knowledge and experience of grounds maintenance, manual handling, working on highways.
Working 41 hours a week Monday to Friday, with the possibility of weekend work and early starts. Overtime shifts may also be available. A licence valid to drive in the UK in order to drive Council vehicles around sites is essential.
In return we offer:
- a competitive salary
- generous annual leave package
- full training and PPE
- good variety of work
To be shortlisted for interview your application should clearly evidence your ability to work weekends on occasion if required. Physically capable of undertaking the duties of the job, including lifting machinery. Ensure you complete the application form in full and include all employment history for the last 3 years.
Please see job description for full details
Interviews dates: TBC
Reporting to: Mobile Team Supervisor
Maintain an attractive and clean environment, including roads and strategic assets, for the enjoyment of residents and visitors to our borough.
To undertake work in public open spaces under the control of Parks & Streetscene service
• To carry out general maintenance including grass cutting, edging, weeding, planting, sowing, hedge trimming, leaf clearance, hoeing, raking turf laying and cutting, seeding, site preparation.
• The operation of cylinder and rotary mowing machines, to include ‘ride on’ and pedestrian operated horticultural machinery
• Soil cultivation and preparation for planting
• Tree and shrub planting and after care according to the specification
• Maintain Highway verges.
• Litter picking, sweeping and bin emptying as well as cleaning of mess rooms, toilets and pavilions
• Erection and dismantling of sports and other equipment. Initial setting out and marking of sports pitches of all types from dimension charts. Maintenance operations on sports surfaces including cricket tables, bowling greens and putting greens
• Checking and carrying out routine maintenance of machinery, equipment and tools
• Driving and being responsible for Guildford Borough Council vehicles and plant. Using the full range of grounds maintenance tools and equipment and powered hand tools
• Use of herbicides and pesticides
• General standard of education to secondary level or equivalent
• City & Guilds 2, NVQ 3, IOG RHS General, IOG, or equivalent (desirable)
• Current PA1 & PA6 Certification in Pesticide Application is (desirable)
Knowledge, Skills and Experience
• Strong experience in groundsmanship and horticulture
• Awareness of the Health and Safety at Work Act
• A broad knowledge of groundsmanship and horticulture, sports turf preparation, marking and maintenance including experience of grass and hedge cutting, shrub pruning, pesticide application, along with the production of Spring/Summer bedding
• Able to operate, maintain and control mowing machinery and a range of powered tools
• Hold a valid UK driving licence in order to drive to sites using a council vehicle
• Physically capable of undertaking the duties as set out in the job description, which may include lifting weights up to 25 kg
1. To comply with appropriate legislation, service and council policies.
2. All employees have responsibility under the Health and Safety at Work, etc. Act 1974. These responsibilities are laid out in the Council’s health and safety policy and procedures.
3. To support and be committed to the Council’s policy on safeguarding and promoting the welfare of vulnerable groups including young children and adults and expect all staff and volunteers to share this commitment.
4. To support the Council’s equalities and diversity policies.
5. To operate within the Council’s IT policies and data protection rules and regulations.
6. To operate within the Council’s financial regulations.
7. Manage budgets and resources ensuring that they are deployed effectively with robust internal controls and compliance with relevant regulations, policies and guidelines.
8. To participate in internal committees and departmental working parties to ensure continuous improvement as required.
9. Any other reasonable duties as may be required from time to time.