Hillingdon Council: Putting our Residents first.
About the role
As part of the Council's commitment to provide high quality and efficient services, we are looking to recruit an experienced H&S Advisor who can support all Council services with the aim of minimising the Council's exposure to H&S risks.
The main duties of the H&S Advisor will be to:
- Provide support to and deputise for, in H&S matters, the Health & Safety and Emergency Services Manager in the provision of an effective and efficient Health and Safety service for the London Borough of Hillingdon;
- Contribute to the wider function of the Service including emergency management and business continuity
- Ensure that the Council meets its statutory duty for H&S by providing, or ensuring the provision of high-quality competent advice on all aspects of H&S relating to Council employees and others who may be affected by activities of the Council; and
- Develop and deliver a range of first aid and H&S training; and
- Assist in the production of quarterly management reports from the Council's H&S software system (Assure) and help provide analysis of those reports.
This is a fantastic opportunity for an individual who has experience of working within the H&S field to progress their career. Local government experience is desirable but not essential. The successful applicant must be able to support, advise, assist and provide training on H&S matters and deliver a high quality service against agreed targets and timescales.
The successful applicant will have strong communication skills and the ability to engage and influence key stakeholders within the Council. This post requires a highly motivated individual who is outcome focused with strong team working skills. Proficient IT skills are essential for this role and experience of Microsoft, Google and H&S software packages would be beneficial. Further training and professional development will be provided to the successful candidate as required.
Please only apply if you meet the essential qualification criteria below - unfortunately we are unable to accept applications if you don't meet this:
- Degree qualification or equivalent experience in related field
- NEBOSH Certificate in Occupational Health and Safety Practice
/ NVQ Level 4 or 5 in Occupational Health and Safety Practice or
- Level 3 Award in Education and Training
- Level 3 First Aid at Work
What we offer
We offer a range of Company benefits. These vary according to the business area and role but may include:
- local government average salary pension scheme
- free parking (4 days a week) if based at the Civic Centre
- a 36-hour week for all full-time staff
- generous holiday entitlement: a minimum 25 days a year (plus bank holidays), rising to 28 days after five years' service. For more senior positions holiday entitlements can rise to a maximum of 36 days
- career breaks
- flexible working hours
- season ticket loan
- access to a Credit Union
- on-site staff restaurant at Civic Centre
- access to a wide range of training and courses
- discount on a variety of Adult Education courses run by the Council
- payment of professional fees where these are required
- discounts at council-owned leisure centres and swimming pools at Hillingdon (Uxbridge), Queensmead (South Ruislip), Highgrove (Ruislip) and Botwell Green (Hayes)
- cycle purchase scheme
- car sharing scheme
- 30% discount on green fees at council-owned golf courses
If you would like to have an informal discussion about the post please email James Wright, Health & Safety and Emergency Services Manager on .
We are committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults. Applicants should be aware that the post will only be offered to successful candidates subject to an Enhanced DBS check as well as other employment clearances.