Grade 8- £40869-£44790pa plus excellent pension scheme, up to 29 days annual leave, and flexible working arrangements.
Are you looking for your next career move to a London borough? If so Havering has an excellent opportunity for a lead officer in Health and Safety within the friendly and welcoming Public Protection service.
Havering is an East London borough on the borders of Essex with lovely parks and shopping facilities. We have the best of both worlds with central London a short train ride away convenient for meetings an
As the senior officer for the area of Health and Safety you will be leading on exciting new projects and help shape the service, using a variety of tools and approaches and your own judgement and experience. You will also be given support when necessary and not work in isolation but as part of a team.
You will be the “go to” person for health and safety with several Public Protection Officers in the Team who will look to you as the lead officer for guidance and advice. Part of the role is working directly with Councillors and senior managers and other internal and external stakeholders such as the HSE and the Gas Safe register as well as the council corporate health and safety team. You will be working on reactive and planned visits, projects, and other areas such as event consultations.
Although focussed primarily on health and safety you may be required to assist in other areas of Public Protection such as work around Covid and infectious diseases, and some experience of Food Safety Enforcement is desirable but not essential. You will be responsible for making decisions on how to proceed with cases using your professional judgement to reach a justifiable and robust decision. You will be undertaking inspections and project work to deliver the service priorities, and investigating complaints. You will take appropriate enforcement action where necessary in line with our enforcement policy. The post offers a varied work environment in a supportive and friendly team, providing hands on assistance to play your part in ensuring the health and safety of those living, working and visiting the borough.
- Degree, diploma or relevant academic or professional qualification (or equivalent) essential.
- Membership of a relevant professional organisation desired.
- Project Management qualification desired.
- Required to work outside of core hours on a pre-arranged basis.
- Ability to work individually and as part of a team.
- Current driving licence.
- Flexibility to work from any location.
- Experience of successfully working within varied Public Protection Services.or within the private sector in the field of Health and Safety.
- Experience of effectively working with a variety of stake holders such as , residents, external agencies, business partners and the private sector.
- A high level of achievement in meeting statutory duties, attaining legal compliance and enforcement work through to successful prosecution.
- Experience of leading the delivery of projects from inception to completion.
- Experience of the use of ICT, the MS Windows operating system, MS Word, MS Excel, MS Project, MS PowerPoint, GIS, Instant Messages, App’s and tools for mobile Working.
- Experience of cross authority working.
Experience of supporting change and transformation.
For an informal discussion about the post, please contact Tina Nelan Team Leader on 01708 431904 or MarieClaire Irvine Public Protection Manager on 01708 432649
The closing date for the receipt of applications is 3rd October 2021 however interest in this job may be high and we therefore reserve the right to close the vacancy early.
You will be notified if your application has been successful. Interview date to be scheduled.
Should you require any help or advice with your online application, please contact the Recruitment Helpdesk on 01708 432770
The London Borough of Havering is a Disability Confident employer. Candidates who declare that they have a disability in accordance with the Equality Act 2010 and meet the essential criteria as specified in the Job Profile will be guaranteed an interview.
Priority consideration on all advertised roles will be given to London Borough of Havering Redeployees.
The London Borough of Havering is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable groups and expects staff and volunteers to share this commitment.
Please be aware that a Disclosure and Barring Scheme (DBS) check will be required for any position with access to these groups under the provision of the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974.
In addition, the Authority reserves the right to request employees undertake a basic disclosure check (Disclosure Scotland) where required for the role this includes anyone who has access to (or information obtained directly from) a government database, or has a GCSX account. These posts will be required to have a Basic Disclosure Scotland check as per the requirements of BPSS (Baseline Personnel Security Standards).
Please attach you