A position has arisen for an Accounts Receivable Team Leader to join the Exchequer Team to play an important role in the Exchequer finance function at Bracknell Forest Council.
The Exchequer Team had a restructure at the end of last year and we are confidently taking great strides to further build on past successes, delivering continued improvement and adapting to the new ways of working that we have all faced in the last couple of years.
The Finance Function is at the heart of the organisation and is proud of the professional standing it holds within the organisation. The Exchequer Team is the engine room of the department and plays a fundamental role in ensuring the Council can deliver services.
The Exchequer team is responsible for paying all suppliers and recovering debts from customers which range across a broad spectrum of businesses and individuals.
In addition to supervising the Accounts Receivable Team, including two cashiers, the key focus of the role will be in managing the recovery of all debt owed to the Council, pro-actively improving cash collection, reducing bad debt and developing the Council’s key debt recovery polices.
What it's like working in our team...
Clearly these last almost 2 years have been a challenge however through investment in IT and a flexible approach to working styles the Finance Function has coped admirably and taken the opportunity to adapt and improve processes. The Exchequer team has a broad range of skills and experience. With a well-established Financial System we like to think of ourselves as delivering a high-class service but with the desire to improve and explore new ways of working.
Whilst we are returning in part to the Council’s main office as part of the new normal, we have found different ways of maintaining our first class service internally and to the community through remote working.
You will be supported to carry out the following duties, responsibilities and training...
- Manage the Accounts Receivable Officers and Banking Officers ensuring work is processed effectively, efficiently and in a timely manner ensuring that monies due to the Council are actively managed, monitored, recovered and reconciled
- Reduce the level of outstanding debts across the Council by ensuring that effective processes are in place and actions taken so that all debts are either rigorously pursued or are carefully assessed and written off in a timely way if they are deemed irrecoverable, resolving account disputes and mitigating against the risk of non-recovery
- Be responsible for pro-active management of specific customer debt portfolios where suitably qualified staff are not in place within service departments. Lead on working groups to improve service department debt recovery. Liaise sensitively with customers including many elderly and vulnerable.
- Provide a quarterly update on successful collection to the DMT Directorate with regard to potential bad and doubtful debt and assess the justification for any requests for write off authorisation.
- Ensure the Council is using the most efficient and effective ways of collecting income through technology change and process re-engineering. Work with the legal team to ensure the Council has an up to date debt management policy.
- Effectively communicate arrangements for the management of debt categories to all relevant internal and external stakeholders and monitor the recovery actions for different debt types and levels, including the use of legal action. Participate in all Accounts Receivable audits.
The benefits you will experience are...
- Regular opportunities for development with internal and external training courses.
- An inclusive and social working environment.
- Flexible working opportunities including a flexi-time scheme.
- A great office location next to travel links and the regenerated town centre.
- Internal sports and social club opportunities.
- Discounted leisure centre and gym membership.
- Supermarket discount.
What we're looking for...
A motivated, enthusiastic, well organised Accounts Receivable Team Leader or Credit Control Supervisor with team management experience and who has strong customer care values and a methodical approach to information gathering, recording and reporting. The role will require someone with great written and intermediate Excel skills who can combine this with practical financial systems skills and a track history of achieving their goals.
The ideal candidate should be able to demonstrate the skills and competences required for the role as set out in the job description.
Interviews will be held w/c 8th November 2021.
Want to ask us a question?
For an informal discussion or to ask any questions about this role. Please contact@
Name; Debbie James
Job title: Exchequer Services Manager
Tel.: 01344 355400
As part of the Council’s ongoing commitment to redeployment, please note that this vacancy may be withdrawn at any stage of the recruitment process if a suitable redeployee is identified.