We’re helping to make a difference to vulnerable people. You can support us to do this.
Each day brings new challenges and we have to react to the demands of vulnerable homeless clients in temporary accommodation and ensuring that our accommodation meet all Health & Safety Regulations and remain safe to be used to place our customers. We want our clients to feel safe and secure and to get people back on their feet quickly. These are just some of the things you will be supporting us to do when you join us. You are going to have a big impact on what we do, so you’ll be trusted to take ownership of your work. You’ll have time to immerse yourself in the community. To deliver better today. And to create a better tomorrow.
Because we're Bracknell Forest.
What it's like working in our team...
The Housing Management Team is a small but busy team providing an extensive and responsive property management service to homeless clients placed into temporary accommodation procured by the Council. Sitting within the Welfare and Housing Service the team support each other by working closely together to achieve the right results, and to deliver a holistic service to clients who are homeless or at risk of homelessness. You will be involved in varied and challenging work daily.
You will be supported to carry out the following duties, responsibilities and training...
- To actively procure cost effective opportunities to acquire accommodation in the private rented sector in Berkshire and surrounding counties who are willing to offer their properties to customers owed a prevention and relief duty by the Council under Part VII of the Housing Act 1996 (as amended) including temporary accommodation and private rented properties. To visit properties to assess suitability and match up prospective tenants. Ensure compliance amongst private landlords with health and safety requirements under the Housing Health and Safety Rating System (HHSRS).
- To negotiate and agree financial incentives for landlords and letting agents to secure the most economically advantageous proposal for the Council as well as promoting the benefits of Transitional Insurance in place of a cash deposit explaining the procedure in cases where the landlord would need to make a claim. Securing reduced LHA rates where possible
- To arrange and accompany clients to viewings of properties and pre-inspect properties to ensure that pre tenancy checks have been completed, confirm the right to rent and assess suitability and affordability to pay rent/charges. Advice tenants and landlord responsibilities, providing advice and guidance. Issuing offer letters to customers.
- To make or assist with funding applications, budgeting loans or charitable grants as appropriate for clients needing additional assistance with setting up their home and identify additional support needs of clients and make appropriate referrals to specialist agencies as required.
- To contribute to meeting the requirements of the Homeless Reduction Act 2017, in its Relief and Homeless duties by working collaboratively with the Housing Options Team to provide suitable temporary & private sector accommodation. Undertaking suitability and affordability assessments where required & discharge duty under PRSO.
- To deliver an efficient, high quality and customer-focussed service for a diverse client group including high numbers of vulnerable and disadvantaged households.
The benefits you will experience are...
- An inclusive and social working environment.
- Flexible working opportunities including a flexi-time scheme.
- A great office location next to travel links and the regenerated town centre.
- Internal sports and social club opportunities.
- Discounted leisure centre and gym membership.
- Supermarket discount.
- An interest free loan for a rail season ticket.
What we're looking for...
You will have excellent customer engagement skills, be able to describe and talk through options, have relevant knowledge and be able to undertake holistic assessment of needs, including financial assessments and use a range of resources and tools to ensuring that vulnerable people will receive the support that they need to navigate housing options as a local level. With excellent communication and negotiation skills and the ability to work to deadlines you will be able to manage your time and resources effectively.
Interviews will be held on 10th & 11th November.
Want to ask us a question?
For an informal discussion or to ask a questin about this role. Please contact:
Sarah Baynes, Housing Resources Service Manager
Tel. 01344 351590
As part of the Council’s ongoing commitment to redeployment, please note that this vacancy may be withdrawn at any stage of the recruitment process if a suitable redeployee is identified